Thread: S or SQ

Junior SCH Member

S or SQ

I have an A-Trim on my car now (I bought it used, thought it was a S, then saw that even though I had the S-trim supporting hardware (eg, T-Rex, MSD, bypass, etc), I still had the A-Trim impellar) and I wanted to send it to Vortech for the upgrade service. It runs around $950 or so dollars. I also have a friend of mine that is willing to sell me his extra SQ for the same amount. He's telling me that I should buy his and sell mine on EBay or something. Then I would have the upgraded blower for around $500 or so dollars (after I sell my old one). I'm not too crazy about the SQ since it's not polished like my old blower but I'll either polish it myself or live with it. If I sent back my old blower to Vortech, it would be polished.

Here's the question. Is the SQ that much quieter than the S-trim? I've grown to like the whine of my S-trim. Also, is the SQ better than the S? I've run a search on the Corral, and it looks like the SQ is better than the S because of the step up ratio (3.60 versus 3.45)and I read a post that said that the helical cut gears are stronger. My A-trim has over 120,000 miles on it (I bought it used) and it still runs strong.

Thanks and sorry for the long post,
    Henry
    95 Cobra R with S-Trim

Senior SCH Member
    The 'sq" is no better than the "s"..the helical cut gears are for noise reduction...if u math it out 3.45 vs 3.60 you'll see that the diff in boost @ any given rpm is negligible.they come w/same warranty,max efficiency and max rpm. obviously the sq(quiet) was developed to counter the powerdyne....imho...

Interesting thread

Here is a thread where Robin Lawrence (sp) was talking about this very issue. I would say try and get a hold of him. Personally I have the t-trim so can't tell you. I do know one thing...both are fun!

http://www.vortechpower.com/forums/s...=&threadid=145
    Drag Racing...Where being the quickest is considered a good thing. :D

Junior SCH Member
    it doesn't make sense why would anyone buy a v1 S-trim, if the SQ, costs the same, and makes the same or more power? why would they even sell them? I mean why woudn't they have helicaly cut the gears from the beginning? there must be some advantge to straight cut gears

Originally posted by husun
    it doesn't make sense why would anyone buy a v1 S-trim, if the SQ, costs the same, and makes the same or more power? why would they even sell them? I mean why woudn't they have helicaly cut the gears from the beginning? there must be some advantge to straight cut gears
    I think that in your average everyday toy the difference between the S and SQ is negligable. The main difference is whether or not you want the infamous whine or not. However in the world of heads-up run whatcha brung racing, these guys will go through a dozen cam setups, valve jobs, or whatever else they can before the motor ever gets in the car to sqeak out every last bit. That is where the difference comes in. Just my $.02.
    Drag Racing...Where being the quickest is considered a good thing. :D

Junior SCH Member
    Aren't straight cut gears stronger? I know that in a tranny, straight cut gears are stronger but they make alot of noise. That's why people prefer the helical cut gears, they're quieter.

I'm not sure if that's even a factor though
    95 Cobra R with S-Trim

Junior SCH Member
    I'm a big fan of the SQ, it's so quiet that you cannot hear it most of the time. With the top down in the car just cruising around it doesn't sound like there is even a blower on there.
    Patrick Gans
    1999 GT Vert
    Vortech S-Trim, Morpheus 4" Powerpipe
    36lb Injectors, Pro-M 80mm
    MAC Pro-Chamber, Cat-back exhaust
    Steeda Springs, Ultra-Lites, Tri-Ax