Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Strange question

Thread: Strange question

Junior SCH Member

Strange question

Hi folks. Quick question hopefully someone can answer.

When I was running my 98 engine and 5 speed, the Vortech used to be extremely loud and you could hear it a half block away.

Now that I've swapped engines (now running 2000 engine) and swapped to an automatic (stop laughing), the same Vortech you can barely hear.

I'm not complaining because the car is still making great boost, etc I'm just wondering if a lot of this *noise level* from the rock crusher is due to the idle different (5 speed vs automatic). The 5 speed tends to idle right @ the sweet spot 1k rpm (the loudest) whereas the automatic idles right around 700rpm.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this scenario before?

Thanks,
    Tim
    '98 Mustang GT (with 2000 engine)
    Best ET to date: 12.425@113.9

Tim,

I have expierenced this with different pullies, but it's the same principal. The slower you spin it (700 rpm vs 1000 rpm) the quiter it is going to be. Are you running the same pullies or did you slow it down some with the pullies too?
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by RdRunnr
    Tim,

I have expierenced this with different pullies, but it's the same principal. The slower you spin it (700 rpm vs 1000 rpm) the quiter it is going to be. Are you running the same pullies or did you slow it down some with the pullies too?
    I changed pulley from 3.60 stock Vortech pulley to the Reichard Racing ultra-grip which is 3.40 in size. I would think actually with that diameter it would speed it up just a tad since stock is 3.60 and next size down for me would have been 3.4 then 3.3 .... I dunno kinda wierd. I guess it's because of the lower idle point?