Thread: T-5 to C4 convert

Junior SCH Member

T-5 to C4 convert

Hi guys,
    I am thinking about replacing my HD T-5 with a C4 to get more consistent time. Has anyone out there done one of these swaps? Will I need to get a special flex plate that will bolt up to a 5.0 rollers moter and accept an early style (1968) 24 spline converter? What stall would you recommend with 3.73 gears? The car will be used less than 1000 miles per year on the street. Can I just buy an aftermarket shifter (I like the looks of the B&M hammer with C4 convert kit) or will I need some stock pieces from an AOD car?

Thanks
    jack

If you are going to use a small bell housing C4 you will need a special flexplate of 157 tooth 50oz imbalance. If you are going to use a large bell C4 which you can but it takes up more room especially with long tube headers then you will need the 164 tooth AOD flexplate. You will need to cut the welds on your trans crossmember tubes where they mount to the chassis and reweld them to the oppisite end of where they are now which I believe moves the crossmember all the way forward. Your drive shaft will remain the same and I highly recommend the ford aluminum if you don't have one already.
    The Hammer shifter will work fine. I use a megashifter and I had to mod the hell out of my console. A lot of guys use the quarter stick type shifter as well.

If you are going to use a 60s trans which I am as well it can be tough to find converters for them. Most builders don't want to deal with 24spline stuff. Ask me how I know. If you already have a 60s C4 though you don't have to give up on it. If you should happen to need a 24spline converter let me know I have a mint condition 11" converter that I could send ya. 11" converter stalls at around 2200 which works great for street tires and drag radials but I found just this weekend it is not enough stall for ET Streets.

If you have any further questions on C4 swaps just let me know and I will help the best that I can.:)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Senior SCH Member
    I have all the stick to auto convert pieces, for an AOD. Let me know if you need anything. It's just collecting dust in the attic.

Eric
    89GT 392 Novi 2000 650/620 Tunned by DynotuneMP :D
    03 10th Anniversary Cobra Vert. 443/451 12.6@113

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks,
    Hopefully I will sell my Tremec, HD Clutch, adjustable quadrant and Pro 5.0 shifter next weekend. If I do, I am going to the auto.

Now the problem:

I have a small bell C4 that I took out of my '68 cougar. It has 52K on it. I put a shift kit in it a couple of years ago. It's a decent trans but it has age on it.

My best friend just stripped a wrecked '89 McLaren with 13K on it. He has the AOD, flexplate and cooling lines. He said I can have it if I can use it.

What to do? It's pretty much just a fun occasional street/strip car that only sees about 1K per year. Gas milage is of no concern. I am pushing almost 10lbs of boost on a stock motor combo but plan on getting TFS heads and intake.

Is the AOD or C4 a better choice?

Thanks,
    jack
    jack

'88 LX Hatch - Stock w/Novi 1K
    '84 5.0 Ranger - 302 soon to be 347, C4, 9 inch, Air Gap, Carbed, Novi 1K & F150 pulley

1000 miles a year and the words street/STRIP car. I think you have answered your own question. C4 :)

Much lighter and stock to stock it is a little stronger.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Steve. I'll send you a PM about the converter you have.
    jack

'88 LX Hatch - Stock w/Novi 1K
    '84 5.0 Ranger - 302 soon to be 347, C4, 9 inch, Air Gap, Carbed, Novi 1K & F150 pulley