Thread: Spark Blowout / Belt Slippage Question

Junior SCH Member

Spark Blowout / Belt Slippage Question

What's goin on guys! I'm hoping that someone could possibly explain to me how to tell the difference between spark blowout and a slipping belt. Recently I've noticed that while WOT at aprox 4500 - 5000 RPM ( 5-7 pounds of boost ) the car will surge quite a bit. It almost feels like I'm driving on a wet road where traction comes and goes if ya know what I mean. Any info would be apreciated, thanks.
    94 GT, with ..........NOTHING yet.

Junior SCH Member
    Anyone?
    94 GT, with ..........NOTHING yet.

What do you have your plugs gapped at? Do you notice a lot of belt dust on the blower pulley? Also, if your using the rev limiter pill in the msd 6al try taking the pill out. Sometimes those go bad and can feel like a spark plug blowing out. Also the boost should stay steady thru 6000 rpm so check your boost gauge. Obviously if the belt is slippin' the boost will drop off when it should stay steady. Good luck.
    '94 Cobra, Procharged 10psi, otherwise mostly stock - 400rwhp 412tq

Now more boost and more horses

Best e.t. - don't ask
    Best trap - 119.3

New 347 combo coming soon - shooting for daily driving 600rwhp

Do you have an ignition box?

Ian

Bet slipage does not make the car buck or surge... you just don't see the boost you are supposed to, so it isn't that. It sounds to me like spart blow-out. When we had the plugs gapped too much on a friends car, it felt like someone was flipping the 'power switch' on and off when the car was under a good ammount of boost. The plugs were gapped at .035 and we pulled them, re-gapped them at .030 and the problem went away. I would try that and see how that goes.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net