Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blower no more

Senior SCH Member
    Well, I have officially had the blower 14 months according to them and the warranty dies at 12 months... :(

They just said to send it in for an estimate of repairs and they would give me a price before they fixed it. So I figured me being a mechanic/engineer what can be so complicated about this thing? I tore it apart and found the back bearing (behind) the impeller was totally destroyed and luckily I shut the car down in time to not hurt anything else. It just barely bumped the billet impeller and didn't appear to hurt a thing that I can see. So I am doing the full rebuild myself. I figure theres about $100 worth of bearings in this thing and I have access to all the equipment needed.. So hopefully its not too bad. BTW- its a good ol' P600B :)
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Well, that's a bummer that they aren't willing to help you out since it was only 2 months out of warranty, but I guess that is what warranty is all about. That's cool that you took it appart and found out what is wrong and it's not that bad. Hopefully you can find these bearings and parts and not have to order them from ATI because I don't know how they would be about sending that kind of part to you to repair... they might not do it.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    hopefully thaqt all thats wrong with my blower.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Senior SCH Member
    Yea, I called ATI and they wont send any parts for repair! They are really stingy about sending you anything for that matter.
    The good news is I found the bearings through our bearing supplier here at work, bad news is they are a special "ceramic" bearing and are $145 a piece at my cost!!!

I can now see what ATI gets a minimum of $600 for bearing/seal replacement...
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306

Wow... so what are you going to do for it? Are you just going to eat it and send it back, or are you going to do it on your own?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Yes, I am in the process of finding the BEST bearings available now and I am going to go through with it myself. Its really a very simple thing and anyone with a press, and some mechanical skills can rebuild one of these things. I would suggest any of you guys to try and rebuild/service your own blowers. It's really not as hard as ATI makes you think.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306

I'm sure it is easy, it isn't like it's a mechanical mystery as to how they work, just hope that their oil will work well with your new bearings. Keep us posted as to how it goes, how much you payed, and so on.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Well, their oil isn't a concern to me, because I have the P600 which is oiled via the engine oil. I can tell you that ATI uses a VERY high quality bearing in their blowers and I am stumped as to why mine failed so early. It was properly lubricated, as the case was full of oil when I took it apart, and I use nothing but Mobil 1. I will be sure to let you guys know the outcome.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306