Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
revised novi 1000 install problem

Thread: revised novi 1000 install problem

Senior SCH Member

revised novi 1000 install problem

Hey guys, I started installing my novi 1000 in my 90gt and I have a few questions. I have all the brackets installed as well as the accesseries and blower, everything is mounted except for the tensioners and belts. My problem is that my blower belt is too short, I try to get it around the sc and crank pullies without the tensioner and it is too small by about half inch or so and then it would go on buy very tight and without the tensioner, my question is did I do something wrong? The back cast bracket gets installed to the cylinder head by 2 bolts, the 7/16's zinc coated one and the 3/8 hole beside the coolant hose right? Also, the discharge tube wont line up with the throttle body and the blower, its almost like the blower end has to be lowered. Please guys, any help would be greatly appreciated and I have no transportation until this car is on the road, thanks.

yes, your install is correct, i too had a blower belt that was too short. i recieved a 56" belt with my kit. i went to napa & bought a 57" belt & moved the tensioner pulley to the next hole on the tensioner bracket to take up the slack. ended up a perfect fit! as far as the discharge tube goes, ive heard many people having to trim some material off(approx 1/2") to get it to fit. i clocked my blower all the way towards the fender on the passenger side. this made the fit perfect & i did not need to trim any off. i used some heavy silicon spray on all the areas that the boost hoses attached to help manouver the hoses around to get the discharge pipe in..........
    -justin

Well I don't recall what size belt I had but it wouldn't fit with my hand. I had to pry it on :)

As for the tensioner pulley it says on the manual what hole to use with what blower pulley you have. If you have the smaller pulley I think you use the bottom hole. If you have a bigger pulley you use the top hole.

I had to trim my discharge tube, and I clocked mine all the way towards the pass. fender "It wasn't too high it was just too long"

Mark
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

the hole location in the tensioner bracket just allows more adjustemnt if needed, its not soley for the change of pulley sizes. i actually got the belt that came with the kit to go on after stuggling with it but i couldnt get the tensioner up enough to get the belt under it. it was obvious that another size was needed. then i had to cut the 56" belt since there was no way to get it off over the pulley lips. the 57" with the pulley in the bottom hole on the bracket will works perfectly.
    as far as my not needing to cut my discharge tube, it may have been the fact that i run a 1" plenum spacer. the additional height may have pulled the intake up enough to take the extra length in the discharge tube........

Senior SCH Member
    You may have to cut off 1/2" to 1" or so off the discharge tube to get it to fit.

The belt will fit, you just have to use a big screw driver or pray bar.

Senior SCH Member
    so you just pry it on and dont worry about the tensioner because when it is pryed on, the tensioner wont really be doing anything, where does the tensioner pulley sit anyway, on top of the upper belt?

yes..it sits on the upper belt
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

It's easy just put the top bolt of the tensioner on and push down on the tensioner by hand "it's not like it's tight right away". As you push down on the tensioner put the botton 2 bolts in.

Mark
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

chemical5l, no you just dont pry the belt on & then not use the tensioner, thats impossible, even though it seems that way when trying to get the belt on. once the belt is pryed over the lips of the pullies there is a little slack, not much but it doesnt stay perfectly taunt.........but again, as i mentioned previously, you may get the belt on, then not get the tensioner to move up enough to get the belt under it. this is why i went to a 57" belt & used the bottom hole on the tensioner to put the tensioner pully in. this adjustment worked perfectly. you may need to use this set up if you cant get the needd slack with the 56" belt as i did.
    good luck......