Thread: AAAArrrrrgh!!! Death of another AOD...

Junior SCH Member

AAAArrrrrgh!!! Death of another AOD...

Oh well I knew it was bound to happen..... it had been howling a little in OD for a while when cruising.

Put in new plugs, and did a few little maintenance chores Saturday and decided to take it out for a "test" run at my local spot to see how she felt... Nice cool day!

Well it was pulling strong but as I pulled it to the top end of 3rd I heard a loud POP! and the motor shut off....coasted it for a while and started her up in neutral...no problem....but it was just revving in Drive... Still had first and second to get me home / to work this morning.

O/D band went out... time to pull it and build it up a bit to handle the boost. I have a local shop guy that will do it on the side for cheap, I just have to bring him the parts. Any suggestions on parts (aside from getting rid of the AOD :D ).

Bands / clutches / servo, etc... it's a 91 AOD

Well I also bought an s-10 blazer extreme last night as a daily driver and I have to go pick it up tonight, so it's time to get a little more serious with the car once the funds replentish ;) ...
    1991 Teal GT / NOVI 2000

so far....12.26 @114 @ 8lbs on a stock AOD w/ shift kit (stock heads / GT-40 intake / stock converter)

I am surprised it lasted that long :) Pushing it in OD was asking for trouble.

I use a Lentech in my setup and I am very pleased with it. They are expensive, but worth the money.

For the rebuild, install a nice shift kit, or get the Lentech valve body (this alone will save your trans) and a new 2" OD band. Do not manually shift it (1-D-1) and install a trans cooler.

The best bang for your buck will be the 2" OD band and the Lentech valve body.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    Well I have a BIG Hayden Cooler on there and installed a Baumann shift kit a few months ago. I'm thinking about a PA manual valve body.... Lentech VB would be nice, but I'm not sure I'll have the dough for it right now...

I knew better, but what'cha gonna do ;) we all make mistakes :D
    1991 Teal GT / NOVI 2000

so far....12.26 @114 @ 8lbs on a stock AOD w/ shift kit (stock heads / GT-40 intake / stock converter)

True enough :)

Honestly I would save for the Lentech unit. I think you would be happier with it.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    Well considering I'll be adding heads / converter / 3.5" pulley in the next couple months, probably time to do some heavy AOD research on which parts hold up the best until I can afford a C4...

Thanks!
    1991 Teal GT / NOVI 2000

Parts bin should consist of one each C4.;)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

The Lentech valve body will allow you to shift 1-2-3 and have OD on a switch. It's worth the money. I had the valvebody in my Art Carr AOD and it worked great until the Art Carr blew up for the 4th time . I ponied up the big bucks and installed a Lentech AOD:D and I have not had a single problem with it. BTW, When my Art Carr blew up the last time, Lentech actually gave me credit for the valve body that I bought 6 months before. All I can tell you is that out of all of the aftermarket companys I have dealt with, Lentech did everything and then some that they promised. Great customer service. What a class act company.
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member
    i dont know a whole hell of a lot about aod's, but my buddy has a(91 GT) novi 2000 aod with the lentech valve body and a PI converter and he runs 11.7s @118 on nittos. (of course he has tfs heads and intake too). but anyway its really fast!!!! one more note he dropped down to a 3.27 gear and picked up some in the 1/4...
    2002 AODE GT W/ NOVI 1000