Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need advice on new heads

Thread: Need advice on new heads

Need advice on new heads

I have about $1600.00 to spend on new heads for my A4 block 331. It will have a TFS R intake, 72# injectors, about 20 pounds of boost, and a custom blower cam. I am also considering putting long tubes on it. I live in southern California and the smog laws are really tough. I have a dedicated drag car, so I don't want this car to be too radiacal. This car passed the smog inspection with no problem. It made 472 to the wheels with the cats on it. I would like to see about 650 to the wheels without the nitrous(80 shot). I am leaning towards AFR 185's or possibly 205's. I have 205's on my drag car, but like I said this is a street car. It doesn't even have a cage in it. I am going to install one while the engine is out. The car weighs 2800 pounds and has got a Lentech AOD and a built 8.8. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Doug,

With that much boost, I would go with the 205's for sure. You can also add the extra exhaust porting for another $200. Just about everyone is out of stock though and you may have to wait.

I know that Keith Craft has some in stock and they are under your $1600 limit.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    I find it kinda hard to see you making 600 plus and being emissions legal. I would go for the 185's. I think they will get you that HP that you want. And with that custome cam, I dought you will be legal.

What does your current setup consist of? I am Running a CHP 331 with AFR 185's(port matched to Holley intake.) 9:1 comp. hoping for 500+ with 15lbs of boost. But well see.

Ian,
    Everbody has been telling me that AFR won't make another run of 205's until January. I would like to have the car running by the end of January. I will call Keith Craft tomorrow and talk to them.

WANARNM,
    The old combo was out of the box AFR 165's, Track heat intake, shorty headers, and a Novi 2000 with 10 pounds of boost. Stock shortblock and cam. It made 472rwhp and 435 pounds of torque. Your car should make at least 580-600 rwhp with that much boost. What I mean by emmissions legal is, having all of the smog equipment on the car and functioning. I realize that my cam and injectors will be the limiting factor to passing smog. I don't have a problem swapping the cam and injectors every 2 years for testing.
    Doug

Doug,

I have also read that, AFR is closing for three weeks for a holiday.

KC has them (we are ordering a set for a car) they have a few sets sitting in stock.

Ian

Hey Doug. If you are going to go with the 205's, you may want to consider part #1453 . This head has the optional large exhaust port for high boost blower setups which I think you qualify for. I know you're on a bit of a schedule but I believe it may be worth the wait to get these instead as there is more than likely a worthwhile horsepower gain to be had. Don't forget, none of the 205's are smog legal in case you care.

205cc Nitrous Exhaust Port :

80cc 150-300 NOS or 12-18 lbs. Boost

Part number:

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by dugscpe

WANARNM,
    The old combo was out of the box AFR 165's, Track heat intake, shorty headers, and a Novi 2000 with 10 pounds of boost. Stock shortblock and cam. It made 472rwhp and 435 pounds of torque. Your car should make at least 580-600 rwhp with that much boost. What I mean by emmissions legal is, having all of the smog equipment on the car and functioning. I realize that my cam and injectors will be the limiting factor to passing smog. I don't have a problem swapping the cam and injectors every 2 years for testing.
    Doug [/B]
    You are one hardcore MOFO. I dont think that i would be swaping cams every two years just to pass smok.

So your stock Bottom end took a crap on you huh?. I wonder if my block will last. I am running the Sportsman block with a Girdle. Will that be able to hold the power that i will be getting?/ Sorry, you got me all siked now that you told me how much HP i should be pushing with 15lbs of boost:D :D :D

What times did you run in the 1/4mile with your old setup.
    89Hatchback lx: CHP 331, 9:1 comp, AFR 185's, Port matched to Holley Intake, 75mm MAF, 75 mm T/B, FMS 42lbs, BBK L/T's, Bassani X-Pipe, 2 Chamber flows. And a bunch of other stuff i cant remember. :D :D
    98GT:Completly stock.

If you can't find'em GRIND'em..

Talk is cheap.....Take it to the track and PROVE you're point.

I have read stories on the internet about the B50 block breaking in the same places that the factory block breaks. I have yet to see a picture of the broken blocks, so until I do, I will chalk it up to internet hear say. I wouldnt about your block breaking, I mean what would you do about it anyways, try to make less power? Just tune your combo and then enjoy driving the sh*t outta it. If it breaks, then worry about it.
    My car ran 10.8@126 on ET streets. I only made 1 pass, I got kicked out for not having a cage

Doug

Junior SCH Member

What was your 60ft and race waight??

Originally posted by dugscpe

My car ran 10.8@126 on ET streets. I only made 1 pass, I got kicked out for not having a cage

Doug [/B]
    YEAH!!!!
    What was your 60ft and race waight??
    89Hatchback lx: CHP 331, 9:1 comp, AFR 185's, Port matched to Holley Intake, 75mm MAF, 75 mm T/B, FMS 42lbs, BBK L/T's, Bassani X-Pipe, 2 Chamber flows. And a bunch of other stuff i cant remember. :D :D
    98GT:Completly stock.

If you can't find'em GRIND'em..

Talk is cheap.....Take it to the track and PROVE you're point.

60 ft
    weight
    1/8 mile
    6.92@101

SCH Member
    dugscp:
    If u get new cylinder heads, will u be selling your AFR 165?
    THANKS
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Track Heat Heads
    Trickflow Street Heat Intake
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    Scorpion 1:6 RR
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil
    Every other Bolt on available

518 RWHP 478 FT-LBS Torque

Tony,
    Yes I will be selling the heads in January. They are AFR 165's pedistal mounts with the exhaust upgrade and upgraded springs. The heads have approx 500 miles on them and they obviously work fantastic. I will be selling pretty much all of the old combo. I will be advertising them on Novipower when they come off of the car. :cry:
    Doug