Thread: it was worth it

Senior SCH Member

it was worth it

Hey guys, I got my car running a few days ago and I like the results I saw, before the blower I was running 14.6-14.8 @93.5mph stock with 355's, on a 90gt. With the blower and everything else stock, 4psi, 13.8@100.5mph. What should I do next, exhaust, mass air, what works best.

exhaust would be my next move. mass air, injectors and a intake. HEADS! Save up for a good set of heads!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

I second the exhaust as the next move. After that I would save the cash to do the heads as the stock pieces are the biggest restriction on the induction side of the equation. You could do a new intake, but would most certainly run into severe port mis-alignment in regards to aftermarket intake mated to (smaller) ports on stock heads. You'd be better off going small into big port vs. big into small, if you follow my logic.

As far as heads go, you can jump on the AFR bandwagon or be a renegade & run TFS or Edelbrock, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

You only saw 4 psi with stock heads and the stock pulleys? Are you at a high elevation?

My suggestion echoes the other responses. Exhaust. Maybe some long tubes?
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Also, you running a revised (separate belt for blower) 1K unit or the older single belt style?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    I am running the new novi, with the separate 8rib belt, I see 2-3 until like 4500 maybe, them 4-4.5ish, almost 5 if I bring it to redline, not really comfortable doing it all the time though. I am putting on mac shorties unequal length, off road hpipe(what do I do with the air tube now, take if off completely and block the hole from the engine bay?) and I will be doing this in the next few days, what kind of increase should I see mph wise?

I've got proted trickflow heads and a holley2 intake and i see lil over 6psi with the stock pullies @ 6k. getting a powerpipe would definitly help too. Taking the cats off and putting on headers is a big step-up in power on a blown 5.0!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by chemical5l
    I am running the new novi, with the separate 8rib belt, I see 2-3 until like 4500 maybe, them 4-4.5ish, almost 5 if I bring it to redline, not really comfortable doing it all the time though. I am putting on mac shorties unequal length, off road hpipe(what do I do with the air tube now, take if off completely and block the hole from the engine bay?) and I will be doing this in the next few days, what kind of increase should I see mph wise?
    I put on some BBK long-tubes headers and Dr Gas offroad X-pipe, and here is what I did with the air tube: Unhooked the metal piece that connects directly to the old H-pipe, and leave everything where it is. I don't know if this is the RIGHT way to do it, but my car runs fine. The reason I didn't remove the smog crap is because I will eventually have to go through emissions and this way I can cut down the old H-pipe, bolt it up temporarily, and hook the air tube up. I would recommend putting on some long-tubes, because they are MUCH easier than a lot of people think they are to install. I will help you through the install if you decide to go the long-tube route.

Brent, how do you like the Holley intake? I'm thinking about going with the Holley upper and lower next winter when I do my heads, cam, tb, and intake
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for the help guys, I will be doing it tommorrow, how is the metal part of the air tube hooked up to the hpipe, do I have to cut?

The holley is the super horsepower intake. you trade the upper rpm's for low speed torque. But when it's on it pulls hard! looks pretty sharp too.