Thread: Head Gaskets

Junior SCH Member

Head Gaskets

I need some help on what head gaskets to buy. I bought good Fel-pro gaskets and haven't had any problems at all until last night at the track. I blew a head gasket and also blew a seam in my radiator.
    My setup is a stock short block with 'P' heads that have 58cc combustion chambers (stock), B-303 cam, 1,72 rockers, Explorer intake, 36lbs. injectors, Aeromotive Adj. regulator, 255 intank pump, and a P600B w/ intercooler making 8-10 lbs. of boost .
    The timing was at 10 degrees and the FMU was turned all the way in (rich), and fuel pressure was at 40lbs.
    I've ran the hell out of this car on the street and haven't had any problems. The problem occured when I missed 4th gear. My buddy noticed little puffs of white smoke on each shift before it happened.
    It was the first time down the track with this setup and I so excited that I wasn't watching the fuel pressure gauge. It went 1.72 60ft. w/ 26inch slicks lauching at 4500 and it went 7.80 in the 1/8th. What can you guys recommend for better gaskets?
    Is my compression maybe too high with these heads?
    '88 Dominator GT
    "P"heads,Explorer intake,36#injectors,1.72rockers,B303cam,X-pipe,flowmasters,4.10's,P600B w/ 14# boost

Senior SCH Member
    Im running Gt40X heads with 58cc chambers, they are aluminum compared to your Iron p heads. ( they are iron correct? ) Aluminum usually allows for more timing, therefore you may want to run a little more fat in the curve, or cut back on the timing a bit. I know 10 degrees timing is pretty low, however you may want to set your base fp up a little. I run mine at 43 base with 50# injectors. Either this, or go with a set of 42# injectors.
    What kind of tuning do you have done to the car? anything done on a dyno? if not you should probably think about it.
    I was running the fel pro 1011's w/o any problems with 13psi and these 58cc heads. However I thought I blew a head gasket, but it appears the heads may have been lifting under boost.
    I am swithing to the 9333's which have a stainless steal fire ring and are a little thicker when compressed for slightly less compression. I am also going with head studs,,are you at least using arp head bolts?

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Junior SCH Member
    Yes, the 'P' heads are iron. I have not had the car on a dyno tune yet, that was in the near future.
    I checked on what I had for headgaskets and they are the felpro 9333's.
    Igot the plugs out and all of them have antifreeze residue on them.The thing blew antifreeze everywhere and I don't know where it came from.
    No, I don't have head studs, would that make a big difference?
    '88 Dominator GT
    "P"heads,Explorer intake,36#injectors,1.72rockers,B303cam,X-pipe,flowmasters,4.10's,P600B w/ 14# boost