Thread: Looking for Carb Enclosure Pictures

Looking for Carb Enclosure Pictures

I am considering adding methanol injection on my blow through carb setup. I am using a Vortech enclosure, and have been told that if I spray in the traditional locations, it will puddle in the bottom of the enclosure. I am thinking of adding a spacer under the enclosure, and installing the nozzles there. The problem with that is I only have 1/2 inch space between the top of the enclosure and the bottom of the hood scoop.

Does anyone have any pictures showing the bottom of the enclosure, so I can see if I may be able to mill off some to make up for adding a 1/2 inch spacer?
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi
    Lentech Strip Termimator, 4.30 Detroit Locker

I have decided to change directions slightly. If a little alcohol will help to make big power with out detonation, a lot of alcohol should be better. I have decided to convert to E85. I already over engineered my fuel system when I upgraded it for the supercharger, so only need to get the carb converted to E85, and go... I have a E85 carb coming from Quickfuel this week, so should be on E85 the after New Years. .....
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Better choice because Meth Injection is not a good fix. I have been running E85 now for 15k miles(1 year) on my Twin-Turbo Stang and 2 years on my Quad. Just can't beat 105 octane for $2.67 gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by speedytang View Post
    Better choice because Meth Injection is not a good fix. I have been running E85 now for 15k miles(1 year) on my Twin-Turbo Stang and 2 years on my Quad. Just can't beat 105 octane for $2.67 gallon.
    Hey, good to hear. You may be able to save me some time on getting this roughed in. How much boost are you running, and are you having to pull timing using E85? If so, how much, and at what boost level do you start? Another question, I was told most run hotter plugs with E85, and knowining high boost takes a colder plug normally, what did you do?
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    8psi on the street under normal driving and I have a 4psi+ panic button that makes me average 12psi. With 8psi and the size of my intercooler I am not pulling any timing and that was even with 93 octane. Twin Turbo is more kind to me than when I was running 8psi on a VR4 because I had to limit my timing to 24 degrees at WOT on 93 octane and full timing with E85. Paxton VR4 and E85 I could run full timing at 14 psi and still had a safe area but the VR4 would not push anymore boost that is when I went Twin Turbo. You will be at a disadvantage with the Carb even with it tuned for E85 because you can not adjust your metering or float for all your rpm flat spots and you will have flat spots while driving.
    Example: I run 22% more E85 across all rpms 600rpm-6800rpm. But I still have additional fuel added at 3200rpm but take out fuel at 5100rpm. My fuel map is all over to keep the same EGT across my higher rpm range. I take out fuel by 8%-16% when not in boost to keep my car steady at all rpms. My car feels no difference from stock in all rpm ranges in boost or out even making 540whp using only 10psi. Fuel Injection makes this easy and if I can't get E85 I just hit a button and run 87-93 octane.
    How did your car run on regular gas with the enclosure. I had a Twin VR4 with the Blower Hats and they worked great with twin carbs but could never get my single VR4 with the enclosure to run correctly. It would either run great under 2krpm or run great over 5k rpm and it would change daily which way it would run best. Not good with the motor in a Ski Boat. No AAA around. LOL
    I run 1 step down on a colder plug tried 2 down and the plugs would foul. Just make sure you have a strong ignition box.

Good information... I will start off with 24 deg timing, and go up from there. I have new one step colder plugs in it now, so will stay with them, at least till the Summer heat. I made a good cold air intake, so that should help also.

The carb actually has a few advantages when supercharged. when the air/fuel atomizes in the carb, it drops the air charge temp much lower than with EFI, where it happens right next to the combustion chamber. The biggest problem with a blow through carb, is getting a properly designed Power Valve to only open when in boost.

I should be able to get a carb that transitions from each circuit to the next smothly, since Quickfuel is a family owned business. :)
    1993 Thunderbird
    393 Stroker, Vortech YSi