Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone want to make thier non adjustable FMU fully adjustable? look within-->

anyone want to make thier non adjustable FMU fully adjustable? look within-->

ok, i wanted to share what i had done to make my paxton nonadjustable 12:1 FMU fully adjustable fom 1:1 to 12:1. most people pay big bux for the fully adjustable FMU's. well theres no need. i was originally going to create my own adjusters & sell them for cheap to help my fellow blower friends but i dont have alot of free time for this & im not sure if interest would arise....
    ok, i applied some of my turbocharging knowledge to supercharging. i took a cheap(self assembled) manual boost controller for a turbocharged vehicle & used it in a similiar mannor. this controller is just a brass distribution bock with 2 barbed hose fittings, a 1.5" long allen head bolt, lock nut, a spring & ball bearing. i assembled these parts to create a boost diverter/bleeder that would not bleed under vacuum, only boost. the unit is working seccussfully..........
    this controller is put inline on turbocharged cars to fool the wastegate into thinking theres less boost then there actually is so the wastegate stays closed longer building up the boost pressure higher. the screw, spring, & ballbearing control how much boost is allowed to pass. there is a small .050 hole drilled into the body of the brass block. boost bleeds out through this hole & only a small amount of boost can get to the wastegate. as the boost drops or stops, the ball bearing seats back up & doesnt allow vacuum to leak, very clever!
    well, i used this in junction with my FMU. this controller allows you to set how much boost goes to the FMU, thus lowering the fuel pressure under boost & adding horsepower as you lean the mixture. YES, precautions have to be taken, too lean of a condition will cause problems. you must guage your fuel pressure, & air/fuel to be certain you are safe. the true tune should be done on a dyno for maxumim benefit & safety. before i go on i must say that everyone is responsible for thier own actions & they should install one of these at thier own risk. im not trying to scare anyone here, these type of FMU's are sold by Paxton, Vortech, ATI etc. to adjust the fuel pressure under boost to get the required ratio. just like changing discs in the vortech FMU's. only difference in the ADJ. FMU's i have encountered for sale by these well known manufacturers, they bleed boost by means of a bleeder screw & cause a vacuum leak under idle!my method will not due to the ball & spring to seal the air!
    there will be pics posted after this initial thread wich will help aid all my descriptions & how the unit works as well as how it gets installed. you can do a search online for manual boost controllers, these can be bought for less than $25. for what we are using it for nothing extensive is needed. i may start making some of these if people seem interested. ill assemble them, test them & package them included with instructions. id probably sell them for about $10+ shipping...let me know if this sounds interesting to you. ill be more than happy to help those that want to make thier own. i have 13 years cnc, lathe, robot & fabrication experience. see the pics below of my unit. there are exact designs of this sold on the internet today. harware store bought items fabbed perfectly for its intension............(sorry for the length, i tried keeping it as short as possible w/o leaving major details out)
    -justin

heres a pic of the unit assembled ready to install inline with the FMU:
    Attached Images Attached Images

here is a pic of the unit with the screw backed out so yuo can see the spring & ball bearing in the order it is assembled:

heres a shot of the inside looking through the screw hole. i put the ball bearing in so you can see how it seats up against the taper on the barb fitting directly across from it:

heres a shot of the small hole drilled into the brass block to bleed air/boost when the ball is lifted off its seat:

heres a pic of it installed under my hood(sorry, the flash made the pic bright looking):

lastly, heres a shot that shows how this unit runs out to the FMU, the "boost in" line is the hose running across the back of my firewall from my vacuum tree:

Id be interested for sure, because its a cheap alternative to an adjustable FMU, and larger injectors/mass air meter
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

Senior SCH Member
    I'd buy one. ;)

Junior SCH Member
    I'll take one!!
    93GT
    Rebuilt shortblock w/ forged pistons,TW heads, TF intake,e-cam,24 FMS,75mm Pro-M,65mm TB,MSD,Novi 1000,3:55/T5,275's out back and a bunch of other stuff..

im really surprised more people arent interested in doing this. i thought the idea of full adjustability of your FMU and the capability for fine tuning your air/fuel would be a good idea. ill have to bring this unit with my & see the results before & after on a dyno for people to see the potential........ill keep those interested posted on availability of these...........

well, just to keep the few that were interested posted.........i designed a couple new controllers. each one gets better & better, but at the same time they cost more to make! 2nd style i made is much more precise than the original in the pics. it has a different body & more parts that needed drilled & tapped. i also machined the screw so there is a perfect seat between the screw & spring. i even machined the spring ends for a flat smooth mating surface. this new unit design allows for more adjustment. this is better since as you increase in voost you can increase the pressure inside to overcome the added boost. this new unit is good to up to 35psi of pressure..............heres a couple pics:

this 1st pic just shows the new design. much prettier huh?

next is a pic of the pice that i had to cut then enlarge the hole & lastly i had to tap it for the adjuster bolt:

heres the adjuster nut, screw & jam nut together after i drilled & tapped it:

lastly heres a drawn out computer diagram of my newest unit. it shows how the unit is assembled & then how the adjustment works. the screw & spring in my pics doesnt show the machine work i did after these pics. ill try to get some up of those as well......