Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone want to make thier non adjustable FMU fully adjustable? look within-->

ok, thats the newest unit. a much better design. all the parts not including machining & assembling cost a tad over $17. i would sell them for $25 shipped if anyone is interested....as you can see by my price its not about making money on these, especailly after shipping costs............anyways, i have a couple fully assembled. im in the process of an even better one, but it will be much more costly since the parts are exspensive. i got an adjustable air regulator. screwed in 2 barbed fittings for the hose. added a boost guage to it that shows how much boost the unit will allow through it when adjusted. then i fabbed a bracket to mount it in my car to make adjustments as needed right from the cockpit! pretty trick i think! this would be a $50+ assembled part so i probably wont make/sell any but its still a ton cheaper than buying another FMU or an adjustable unit. plus i can make cockpit changes(with a "thats pretty bad a$$" look on my face, lol!)....wont find that from any FMU manufacturers =)
    -justin

Junior SCH Member
    i'll take one also

a few here have posted of thier interest but noone actually has purchased one. id like people to see the effects of these. its better & easier than changing discs like the vortech units. this way you can set the requiered ratio. i mentioned in my last post i have a few of the better design units for $25 shipped. i put each one in my car & tested its operation. i send them out where when it is installed it would keep the same ratio as your current FMU so you will not cause any harm. then the adjustment screw can be turned clockwise to decrease boost pressure to the FMU, thus lowering fuel pressure under boost for a leaner, more powerful mixture.....let me know, i have a few ready to ship. if you need a reference on its quality & actuality you can contact frank woodal, he is a member here & has seen them 1st hand.
    thanx for your interest,
    -justin

Junior SCH Member
    all i need to know is where to send the money, if your in canada or usa, cheque ,cash ect and i ahve the silver fmu 12-1 i believe it to be.

my email is corals4me@hotmail.com

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    I think I might have someone interested in your idea. I will show this to him, and I am pretty sure you will have a sale.
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

ok, let me know. i can add additional information if needed. anyone interested gets the basicas behind the unit as well as detailed instructions for installation & operation...........

im planning a dyno run here within the next few weeks so ill have some benefits on paper from my adjustable unit. i think this is what is holding people back, the proof it works. i also think if people knew how rich they were really running they would want to decrease thier ratio just for the "non-rich" associated problems/conditions!
    -justin

Junior SCH Member
    Huh, I’m interested, but it looks like all of your pictures got damaged… while attempting to open them all I get is scrambled, multi color blocks. (can you upload new copies or give me a clue why I can't see them?)

From the description it sounds like you’re making a nice version of what the mopar turbo crowd calls a granger valve (used as a wastegate controller).

Junior SCH Member
    I cannot see the pics as well. I am pretty interested on what you have. Could you possibly email the pics to me, so this in more detail. Thanks.

stanger_91@yahoo.com

Justin
    99 Mustang Cobra w/ Novi 1kRR

email

Could you shoot me an email with the pics from this post. For some reason they are not showing up.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    mswalby@comcast.net
    Drag Racing...Where being the quickest is considered a good thing. :D

Junior SCH Member
    Well, if someone does still have the pictures that were originally in this post, if you send them to me I'll put them up here for everyone to see...
    Last edited by Silverback; 11-27-2003 at 01:54 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    yeah, i can't see good pics either.

on a side note. i made my non-adjustable vortech fmu adjustable.
    97 ex cab 3dr, black, stock 4.3, VORTECH V2 SQ / PowerStroke FMIC, A4

Junior SCH Member
    Any pics or better description, Jess? I'm assuming that you just added a restriction and a blead to it and made one of them adjustable, but I'd like to see what you ended up doing with it

I'll eventually have to go digging around at the local hardware stores and find a small needle valve and I'll do a little experimenting to try to figure out what's best there...

sorry guys, for some reason my subsription to this thread wasnt enabled. i didnt realize people were posting...........anyways, im not sure i have the pics anymore. its not just a bleeder valve. it has a ball & spring so it seats when not under boost so theres no vacuum leak. the other style i made uses a precision adjustable low psi capability air valve with a boost guage on it. these things work like a champ. the guage shows exactly how much boost you are allowing through to easily guage the ratio you want it set at. it is also made to be mounted in the cockpit of your car so adjustament can be made at any time from the drivers seat. i have no more parts to assemble to get these out again but ill be more than happy to help anyone assemble thier own. some fabbing is needed on the ball & spring type units. ill see what i can dig up as far as pics go. ill get back to you guys shortly......

-justin
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

Junior SCH Member
    Justin, I think that I'm not understanding what you're building. The ball and seat thing that you're describing sounds a lot like the mopar world's granger valve, something like:
    a fancy version of it

If that's what your putting in the line (possibly with the spring, ball and seat swapped around), then all you're doing is regulating the maximum pressure that the FMU will see which will limit the fuel enrichment at maximum boost, but it will reach that enrichment at the same rate as the FMU ratio. Essentially, you'll end up with a setup that will be VERY rich under all conditions under boost except when it reaches maximum boost. (again, I suspect that I'm not really following).

A bleed and an orifice (one needs to be adjustable, but it really doesn't make a difference which) will allow you to set the maximum and also give you a curve to the enrichment getting there.

there is a bleed hole that gets plugged back up by a ball bearing when boost isnt lifting the ball of a seated surface. i didnt look at your link above to the grainger valve but i am familiar with it & it is basically the exact same idea. i built one of these exact models im describing for my 92 300zx twinturbo years ago. it worked like a charm. i actually had it rigged to control boost to both wastegtes. as stated in my original post, i used some of my turbocharging knowledge to use with my FMU for my supercharger. if i remember correctly, those grainger style valves were assembled & sold for $35 + shipping. i was selling mine for $25 shipped. but i stumbled across a better idea using a precision/low air pressure capable air regulator valve. the pieces are more expensive & didnt become too terribly popular due to price. plus the fact that im not some verified dealer of performance parts. it is also basically the same idea as some of the more popular adjustable boost controllers for turbocharged cars. i was clear when stating that in the opening thread. i dont think many people knew of this in the supercharger field so i was trying to introduce a new concept as opposed to buying adjustable FMU's or discs to change the ratio. paxton doesnt offer the discs like vortech does. though i beleive some stumbled across the fact that the vortech discs are compatable with the paxton FMU's since i introduced this. this post was originally started at novipower.com before the sites merged. its now available for all supercharger users to view....sorry the pics didnt make it over through the merge....ill get some out this weekend sometime!

-justin