Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
anyone want to make thier non adjustable FMU fully adjustable? look within--> - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone want to make thier non adjustable FMU fully adjustable? look within-->

Junior SCH Member
    Huh… now I'm really confused. If it just works like a granger valve then all it's going to do is delay when you start getting boost enrichment till when you've got enough boost to unseat the ball bearing, and at that point you'll get the full enrichment that you'd get from that FMU ratio. If you really need to adjust your fmu ratio, this setup would only result in it going lean under boost till you hit the preset boost level and then you'd suddenly go rich.

Hum, waiting for pictures…

not true silverback. there is a bleede hole on the units body that bleeds off boost before it gets to the FMU. this bled off boost not making it to the FMU naturally causes a lower fuel pressure rise, thus lowering the enrichment under boost. the ball controls the amount of boost coming into the unit with he desired pressure on the spring. the bleeder hole bleeds off boost at a specific rate the entire time so that a "lesser" amount of boost is reaching the FMU at all times! so the ratio naturally drops from te existing ratio of the FMU. ive used this unit succesfully since ive posted this thread quite a while back. same idea of the bleeder valve offered for FMU's. yet mine doesnt allow for a vacuum leak when off boost! my fuel pressure guage & my air/fuel meter tells me my unit works just as i described. according to my fuel pressure at full boost my ratio is 8:1 instead of the 12:1 calibration my FMU was designed to be. my fuel pressure guage does not lie & my air/fuel guage shows a much better stoich reading as well under boost.........i hope your understanding the concept. i argued with myself in the beginning till i knew for sure what i was trying to accomplish. my guages prove me right now. if you were close to me in location i would be more than happy to do & few runs w/ & w/o this unit installed to show the bore & after guage readings during the "entire" boosting process!
    -justin

just to add. if the spring were adjusted with enough pressure to hold back 1 psi of boost then 1 psi would not reach the FMU as normally would w/o my unit. then once the ball is lifted the boost remains lower due to the hole in the units body. this hole bleeds off boost the entire time. so a particular amount of boost never reaches the FMU at all times. as boost increases it is forced out this hole in the body. but due to the size of the hole, only a certain amount is bled off incrementally, so it remains at a particular setting.....last example here: my fuel pressure guage was reading almost 100 psi of fuel pressure at full boost(im making 8psi of boost). this proved my paxton 12:1 FMU was raisng the fuel pressure accordingly. with my unit installed, the fuel pressure rises gradually w/ no stick points just as w/o it installed. the new fuel pressue under full boost is just about 65psi. this makes my ratio 8:1. this also prives my unit works. my air/fuel guage was reading in the extreme heavy range of "stoich" & partly into the "rich" area. equally in both areas.(approx 1/8" of light in both areas under full boost) now the light band at full boost rides just about even in the center of the "stoich" reading on the guage.(approx 60% stoich +/- 1/8" of light band). this was a pretty drastic change under full boost on both guages........hope this helps some..........

-justin

SCH Member
    How about some pictures that work?
    306 dss pro bullet,gt40x aluminum heads,Crane roller rockers,AFM b41 cam, cobra intake upper and lower match ported, 42lb injectors, FMU, pro-m 80 mass air, Morpheus power pipe, 255lph high pressure intank pump, trex inline pump, novi-2000 stock pullies 8-10psi, strange axles, 3:73 gears, full guages, tremec tranny, aluminum driveshaft, msd, msd boost retard, bbk headers, Mac h-pipe w/cats, 2 chamber flowmasters, eibach springs
    HP:446
    TQ:430

blacktop, ill have some pics for you. the pictures were fine back when this thread started at novipower. for some reason they didnt make it through the merge here........i need to get to my buddies house, i let him borrow my dig cam. all the original pics are gone. ill get some new ones........

-justin
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

Thats a pretty slick trick justin. If i had it to do over again i would've got one of these and a Novi 2000.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member
    Originally posted by mygt8a4re
    blacktop, ill have some pics for you. the pictures were fine back when this thread started at novipower. for some reason they didnt make it through the merge here........i need to get to my buddies house, i let him borrow my dig cam. all the original pics are gone. ill get some new ones........

-justin
    thanks
    306 dss pro bullet,gt40x aluminum heads,Crane roller rockers,AFM b41 cam, cobra intake upper and lower match ported, 42lb injectors, FMU, pro-m 80 mass air, Morpheus power pipe, 255lph high pressure intank pump, trex inline pump, novi-2000 stock pullies 8-10psi, strange axles, 3:73 gears, full guages, tremec tranny, aluminum driveshaft, msd, msd boost retard, bbk headers, Mac h-pipe w/cats, 2 chamber flowmasters, eibach springs

ok, i got acouple pics, one of each style of adjuster. the guaged regulator style unit works like a charm. i have perfect results with it. no fabbing is requiered with this one. all you need is a low psi precision mini regulator, a psi guage(no need for an expensive boost guage, a cheaper type psi/air guage works fine) & two 1/4" NPT x 3/16" barb fittings. the unit i have has a lock ring & mounting tab so it can be mounted in the inside of my car to make adjustments from the drivers seat as i mentioned previously. i routed vacuum line to/from the FMU from inside my car. i have the pics uploaded to photopost, lets see if i can link them here......

-justin

the pics turned out small here...you can go to photopost & look in the gallery. the images can be enlarged there so you can get a better look. again, i currently use the regulator style unit now with great results. i have a 8:1 FMU setting using my factory paxton 12:1 FMU......just to note: anyone that decides to use an adjuster like this needs to be careful when changing thier FMU ratio. im sure everyone is aware of the consiquences i just wanted to get that out......a FP guage is highly recomended to guage the FP changes under boost! an air/fuel guage is good insurance too.......

-justin

SCH Member
    Where can I buy that mini regulator you have?

well theres a store here locally that sells all that stuff. its the place that the company i work for uses for all tis regualtors for the air compressors at work. i guess any place that sells air compressor hardware would have these. just be sure to get a good precise one, not a cheap one that could cause serious problems controlling the boost pressure! i purchased the regulator, the guage, mounting tab, lock ring, & barb fittings for just under $40. you may be able to get it even cheaper online somewhere, but i wanted a good precision regulator that could control good at low boost levels since the regulator would be controlling boost pressure as low as 1 psi & i didnt want to take any chances messing with my fuel presure! the unit i purchased is precise from 0 to 30 psi of air. the guage i got has 1 psi graduations so i could guage the amount of boost closely. im assuming everyone knows how to figure the amount of boost going through the regulator & how to figure the desired ratio!

-justin

SCH Member
    what is the Brand of the one you got?

the one i have is an ARO. i found this link online to what appears to be the same one i have. it even offers the mounting tab & ring for an extra $5. not a bad price either! not sure if its the exact one i have. i know the guy that sold me mine said the one i have is very pricise at low compressed air levels wich was most important to me. its probably the same i just cant say for sure............link

SCH Member
    thanks

no problem....good luck if you decide to set one up. let me know if i can be of anymore help. nothing like full control of your FMU with store bought parts!

-justin