Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dyno Day results: "Your car has big problems"... HELP

Snake, I totaly agree... what you said is EXACTLY what I am thinking... there is nothing else in my mind that would do this. The only problem I have with this, is that the meter isn't getting ANY hotter than anything else in that car under that hood! If it was too hot to the touch or something like that, then fine, that's my problem, but come on! Pro-M is so rediculous to deal with, I know that it's going to be another fight once Jim calls me back, so I don't even want to deal with them anymore. I SO wish there was someone in this area with a Bullet #42 that I could hook up, you have no idea. I am just beside myself because this is the ONLY thing holing me back! My car hasn't worked ALL year because of the hoops they have made me jump through. I am SO tired of this.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

SCH Moderator
    At this point I would just buy a new meter. If the car runs fine after that then you should make Jim reimburse you for the meter that is faulty. It does sound like the electronics is screwed up on the current meter so I think the odds are pretty good that the $250 investment in a new meter will pay off. Biggest question is whether Jim will own up to his responsibility and refund your money on the first meter.
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

"ProCharger...not just blowing hot air"

Photos: http://www.cafords.com/images/john91coupe/hi-res/
    Videos: http://www.cafords.com/mpg/john91coupe/

Senior SCH Member
    I hope Pro M is easier to deal with than ATI.... I got the run around from those guys so much it ain't funny. They did end up cutting me a deal on my seals though...

Anyway back to your post, I would definitley try and find another meter to borrow before you dump the cash on another one, cause odds are Pro M won't refund you for yours. I have a perfect 42# Univer that I'd let you borrow but its the only one I have and my car is my daily driver at the moment... wish I could help you out man. Maybe give Dan a call, and see if he could spare his for a few days....
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

The sad thing, is that if the meter was sitting in a cool place that doesn't have a lot of ambient temp change like an engine compartment (the fender) which is where most meters are located anyway, it wouldn't be an issue. If we heated the meter up and then tuned the meter accordingly, it would probibly be fine. I think I am just going to go and buy another meter that Walsh says will work well with my setup and just call it a day. It's just frusterating that all of this has led to this conclusion. I guess my car is more solid than it has ever been and I have worked out a lot lf little quirks that needed to be dealt with anyway, just too bad that all of this had to happen like this. I will keep you guys posted.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Good luck Don, It seems like blown mustangs are a very complicated thing sometimes! I know mine has had me ready to sell it about once a month, but when it does run right, I love it!
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306

Well, in desperation, I ended up calling Pro-M on Friday and was somehow put through to their actual tuner (Scott). He is a very nice person that is more than willing to help me out. He listened to all of my issues, everything that was happening, all of it. He said that it is common for the voltage to drop once the car starts to warm up as the idle drops and that some of that can be remedied by changing the target idle up to 850 and then proceded to tell me what he could do to change paramaters in order to get it working again. He told me that he hates to have me spend any more money, but he was confident that if I would give him a chance, he could go off of my flow sheet and program a chip that would make my car run just fine without ever even seeing the car. He told me that if I'd meet him up at Pro-M on Sat. with my flow sheet, he'd do one right on the spot for me and if my car didn't work perfectly by Monday, he would personally come pick the car up at my house in the Pro-M enclosed trailer and take it back to the shop to work on it all day Tuesday for me. How can you pass that up? He is not only giving me his time for free (only charging me for the chip), but also is willing to pick my car up and take it back to work on it for me... door to door service, literally. I couldn't say no to that, so I met him up at the shop on Sat. we went over the parameters that I needed changed (rev limit, EGR, vacuum solonoids, long tube O2 delay, ect.), and then he went through the program right there in front of me for an hour and a half and programmed a chip for me. He told me to call him after I tried it out to let him know how it went. I took it home, fired the car up and the car works 100% better. It is unbelievable how much better my car runs. I still have a strange part throttle issue, but different now, not as severe as before, so I called him up to let him know all of that and he said no problem Don, just shoot me an e-mail with your address and a phone number and I will be there shortly after 4 to pick it up on Monday.

Needless to say, I am VERY impressed and VERY happy with the service that I am finaly getting from them. I think that Scott has gone that extra mile that I have needed for this project to help me out. He is going to pick it up today after work and assures me that I will have my car back in time for my car show on Wed. and the Woodward Dream Cruise festivities this weekend. I am excited to finaly get this car running right. My plugs are fouling out bad, so I am debating getting new ones before I give it to him today, what do you think? They are new, but do you think I should just get new ones?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    are you going to have the car done for woodward.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Originally posted by WA2FAST
    He is going to pick it up today after work and assures me that I will have my car back in time for my car show on Wed. and the Woodward Dream Cruise festivities this weekend.
    That would be the idea, but OH NO! The saga continues!!! I have NOT heard a word from him yet, what do you know?! It is 6:39pm and he was supposed to reply to my e-mail to confirm that he got it, and to let me know exactly what time he would be here (so that I knew weather I needed to leave work early or not), but what do you know, I haven't heard ANYTHING from him. I have called numerous times, left messages for him, sent him another e-mail, talked to the receptionist at Pro-M and she said, well he hasn't come in yet today (this was at 4:00pm when he was supposed to BE AT MY HOUSE), but he may be coming in late today... maybe he worked late on the weekend or something. Good answer.

It never ends does it. I don't know why this actually suprises me.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Man, sounds like the same people at ATI when you need service and help they are never to be found but when you want to hand them more cash they are right there with their hands out...

Don, I will have my new Univer and 42# injs. for sale cheap, I never had a problem with either. I am giving up on ATI and selling the blower to cut my losses (blew up again this weekend) so I'm selling the entire kit for $800 and letting someone else try it out. ATI quoted me at around $500 for a full rebuild so whoever buys it will have a blower for $1300 when its all said and done. I have had it with them and the tuning and the other BS. I'm going with a big shot of giggle gas! :)
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306

Well, sorry to hear that you are turning away, but I can hardly blame you with all that has happened to you.

I spoke with Scott today and he said, "Uh, oh man, I'm really sorry... I sort of just took the day off because I worked like 40 hours over the weekend."

Well, after I told him how that settles with me, he said alright man, I will grab the truck and trailer, come over to your house today at 3:30-4:00, bring another meter (THANK GOD someone over there thinks that it may just be a BUNK meter!), my laptop/tuning software, and interface so that I can hook up at your house. I am almost positive I can get it dialed in right there on the spot, if not, then worse case scenario, I will trailer it back and take care of it there for you.

So we'll see what happens, but I am going to leave here (work) a little early today so that I can pick up a new set of plugs on my way home and have it ready for him when he shows up (if he shows up).

I'll keep you posted... about that meter, I will let you know what we determine. Thanx!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Good luck Don, I hope that straightens it out for you. Just watch and listen carefully for the bearings in the ProCharger.... if they start making any weird noises pull it off! Hopefully yours was built on a Wednesday and not a Friday like mine was... :(
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306

IT WORKS!!! You don't even understand how long I have been waiting for this day. Scott came over without a trailer, and without a meter, I wasn't happy at all at first. I showed him the car, showed him the plugs and he was like, oh yea, this thing is running waaay too rich, no problem. We were talking about it for a while and he said that he really wished that he had brought another computer from work, but I was prepared because my buddy just converted his car over to fast (John91, you've been in contact with him I believe), so I made sure that I got his computer just in case. Well we used that computer (A3M) and something didn't look right in the ECM, but he wanted to try it anyway, so he did a burn for it and the car wouldn't even come close to idling, so he's like ah screw it, let's use your A9L then, I know I can get this thing working. So he very carefully entered in the parameters and values while we were talking and BSing, and after like 45 minutes (and some grief from the diablo box), he's like, here, slap this one in. So I did, fired the car up, and wala... it runs again. He said alright, let's go for a ride, your car works. I told him that he hasn't met a car like mine yet and not to be so confident, but okay, lets go, you drive. So I sat in the passengers seat and we drove to the end of the street and it was working, turned onto the next one and he just stood on it. Holy crap! It sure as hell works! He was like whoa, this thing's quite a bit more stout than I thought, we need to get this thing on the dyno to really get it right and finish up. He told me that there is no timing in it at all bassicaly and that it's dead safe, but just don't beat on it too much.

Oh my god, my car finaly works!!! All of this time doubting that damn meter, and it works! He's damn good if you ask me, it wasn't a trial and error type of tune like many tuners, it's like his brain functions like the EEC or something, because at that one moment, it was like a lightbulb went on in his head and he totaly knew what to do and that it would work perfectly.

Of course something needs to go wrong though, my fan died out on Woodward about an hour later when I was cruising, but oh well... I'll just get a new one today. Good stuff!! WA2FAST is alive and well again!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Congrats!!!! Don!

Hope all goes well with your car. Now get that thing on a dyno and give us some numbers! Your combo was real close to mine so I can see what mine would have done blown...

I'm in the process of purchasing an direct port N20 kit for mine, I'm thinking of hitting it with a 175 shot :) I just hope the DSS will hold up...
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306

Haha, I'm sure it will. Your N20 kit should compliment your motor quite well actually.

I was happy to see the look on his face when he was like "WHOA man, this thing's quite a bit more stout than I thought it would be, you're safe, but just be carefull! Let's get thing thing on a dyno so we can finish it up right."

The whole dyno thing, I am kind of bent because my numbers are going to suck compared to usual because he has a Mustang Dyno (load bearing dyno) vs. a DynoJet... I just think that my feelings are going to be hurt.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Yea, but the Mustang Dyno is supposed to be real world accurate and if you want you can just add the 10% or whatever it is to your numbers to get a Dynojet reading. I've seen them vary from a lot to just a little, I guess it depends on the car. Either way who cares about bragging numbers go to the track and smack down some times!
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306