Thread: Why does my oil inlet sit so high and hit the hood?

SCH Member

Why does my oil inlet sit so high and hit the hood?

I don't know what to do to get this to fit. Here is the first pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    91 LX, Novi 2000, AOD->T5 Swap, 76mm MAM, 42Lb Injectors, Kirban AFPR, 255LPH HP Pump, 5-Lug Conversion, Real Cobra R's(C58), 1 5/8 BBK Ceramic Longtubes, H-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Tri-Ax

SCH Member
    and another:
    91 LX, Novi 2000, AOD->T5 Swap, 76mm MAM, 42Lb Injectors, Kirban AFPR, 255LPH HP Pump, 5-Lug Conversion, Real Cobra R's(C58), 1 5/8 BBK Ceramic Longtubes, H-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Tri-Ax

SCH Member
    It's right at the spot on the hood where there is a hood brace. I have "massaged" the hood with a hammer, but it still hits. Any Idea's as to whats wrong or what I can do. Is yours that close to the hood?

Thanks,
    Brandon

After I added new motor mounts I got from napa the hood wouldn't close, it bulged up. I ended up getting a fiberglass cowl hood and it would shut but I noticed marks from the oil inlet fitting rubbing the inside of the hood. My recommendation would be to get convertible mounts, I think they lower the motor a little over stock mounts. Or if you can stand it hpm's solid drop mounts. Or just find a new fitting.

Junior SCH Member
    I just cut the support out of the stock hood, works perfect.
    Josh Whitehead
    1989 LX Hatch
    Stock Shortblock, FTI Cam, Novi 2K, TFS TW Heads , Track Heat Intake, 70mm TB, 42 lbs Injectors, 80mm Pro-M , Hooker LT, Dr. Gas x-pipe and Borla XS Mufflers, TwEECer and More

333.3 RWHP and 353.3 RWTQ Old N/A 331 setup
    12.55@113.06 MPH on DR with 1.85 60ft
    12.22@107.3 MPH on ET Drags with a 1.609 60ft, (with a blown headgasket )

Junior SCH Member
    You could loosen the eight k member bolts and space it down for the needed clearance as long as it isn't anything drastic enough to have suspension issues. ;)

Senior SCH Member
    The best way is the purchase HPM Severe Duty Drop motor mounts. They will lower the engine 3/4" allowing you to close your hood with no further modifications..

Hmm just a suggestion but you may want to relocate your air filter :D

On a serious note, did ya ever get this resolved??
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

SCH Member
    I have "massaged" the hood a bit more and it seems to be ok now. I need to touch up all the marks on the underside of the hood now so I can tell if it still hits. It is very close still. I am probably going to cut a little notch out of the support when I get around to it.

Brandon

Mine rubs too. It was after the motor mounts. I have a cervinis hood, and the support is in the way on it too.

Junior SCH Member
    You can buy a low profile fitting that will clear the hood. Seems a lot easier than installing new motor mounts or buying a cowl hood. I bought mine at Earl's.

Hmmmm, I could be wrong, I just looked and I had cut the bracing out from under my hood a looooong time ago to clear the 351. Looking at your picture it seems like it might be the same low profile fitting.
    89 Coupe, Novi Blown 408 stuffed under a stock hood.
    9.79 @ 117 on 17 inch tires....coasting

It only looks like a 13 second car! :evil:

2004 yamaha R1