Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mass Air Question

Thread: Mass Air Question

Junior SCH Member

Mass Air Question

I figure maybe some of you D2-R guys might have an answer here.

In running a D3-R, I am aware that most run a speed density/non-mass air set-up, however, I have been very happy with the PMS and would like to continue using one. The thought was to go with the 117mm Pro-M, however, in looking at photos of the D3-R installed, it appears that the shock tower is in the way of routing a "power-pipe" type intake tube into the driver's side fender well.

Does anybody out there feel there is enough room to snake a power-pipe tube from the back of the blower into the fender well?

Thanks,

Greg
    Miami, FL
    A-4, 347 YS-Trim, Cast Iron Street Heats, Power Steering/Windows/Brakes/Door Locks, Steel Hood & Hatch, Stock A-Arms, Stock K-Member, Valid Tag/Insurance, Stock Front/Rear Seats, Factory Carpeting all around. Best ET/MPH 9.11/154.40 (different passes) @ 3405 lbs.

Do like Larocca's did,run the mass air meter up in the cowl panel.In other words do not snake the tubing ,just run it up above the master cylinder .You will have to cut a hole in the cowl panel ie: around the w/s wiper motor area,mount the mass air meter in or at the cowl and use the cowl to bring in the cold air ......good luck ;)
    1 nasty tubbed procharged 86'gt
    331 r/block- Scat billet, GRP, etc ,D2R, Spearco race liq/air intercooler(all under a STOCK hood),FAST Seq., Mikes ultimate glide, 9" blah, blah ...

9.02 @161.32 w/ a screwed up converter.....8's here I come !!!!!!

Update: CAR IS FOR SALE - $33,000 has less than 4 passes on it -turnkey

Super Ford cover car may/2000,5.0 feature car april/2001 & coming in muscle mustang to a newstand near you sometime /2004

5.0 magazine feature apr/2001 (before it was tubbed and running a vortech,sorry) - http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...ehicles/18663/

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a good possibility. I like it because I could even try my existing meter the way you suggested, since I have a pretty good (safe) tune on it.

What have you heard about Pro-M Univer blow-thru meters?

I talked to Rick Anderson and he suggests I buy a natural aspirated version because their S/C version has a quirky mid range richness that is very difficult to tune around.
    A-4, 347 YS-Trim, Cast Iron Street Heats, Power Steering/Windows/Brakes/Door Locks, Steel Hood & Hatch, Stock A-Arms, Stock K-Member, Valid Tag/Insurance, Stock Front/Rear Seats, Factory Carpeting all around. Best ET/MPH 9.11/154.40 (different passes) @ 3405 lbs.

I would talk to larocca about your set-up,he's the man when it comes to working w/ mass air cars and blowers and he has run D3R's w/ meters on his own outlaw car and his customers.
    331 r/block- Scat billet, GRP, etc ,D2R, Spearco race liq/air intercooler(all under a STOCK hood),FAST Seq., Mikes ultimate glide, 9" blah, blah ...

Super Ford cover car may/2000,5.0 feature car april/2001 & coming in muscle mustang to a newstand near you sometime /2004

5.0 magazine feature apr/2001 (before it was tubbed and running a vortech,sorry) - http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...ehicles/18663/

Junior SCH Member
    Is he on one of these boards? I wonder since I'm not a paying customer, would he be willing to talk?

SCH Moderator
    I think you can make the turn. Your elbow and tubing would be 5" and I'm using 4.5" on mine now. All you need ia around a quarter inch on each side to clear and I have about a quarter inch clearance to the shock tower. Some of the straight portion of the rubber elbow where it attaches to the blower inlet would need to be removed or you'll never make the turn. Wouldn't you just run a filter on the end of this tubing and go with a blow through meter after the blower? Here is a photo that shows my elbow.
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

"ProCharger...not just blowing hot air"

Photos: http://www.cafords.com/images/john91coupe/hi-res/
    Videos: http://www.cafords.com/mpg/john91coupe/

You could always notch the shock tower as well,I've seen that done .You would have to cut out a section then have a rounded piece welded back in which would give you the nec add;t clearance .

Jim Larocca is a really good guy and if he is not super busy he will talk to you if you go the other route

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I am leaning towards putting the mass air in the cowl.
    Are the blow-through meters good at idle and off-idle response? Since I am tuned for a draw through, would a blow-through require my starting from scratch on the fuel tables?

SCH Moderator
    I had great luck with blow through. I don't think you will need to start from scratch but you might need to make some adjustments to the fuel.
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by John91coupe
    I had great luck with blow through. I don't think you will need to start from scratch but you might need to make some adjustments to the fuel.
    Thanks for your response John.

Have you had the opportunity to run your car again with the timing in it?

SCH Moderator
    I had the opportunity but not the track. The track prep was really bad at the last outing, so bad that I had to take the tune out after the first run due to extreme sideways activity at half track.

Even with the original conservative tune I was only able to get a 9.73 at 136.

I will keep trying....:).
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by John91coupe
    I had the opportunity but not the track. The track prep was really bad at the last outing, so bad that I had to take the tune out after the first run due to extreme sideways activity at half track.

Even with the original conservative tune I was only able to get a 9.73 at 136.

I will keep trying....:).
    I remember. I'm anxious to see what you can do with timing, because I am convinced there are instant 8's in it. New M/T's on a 10 inch rim did me wonders. Good luck, let me know what happens.

Greg