Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mass Air w/D3-R?

Thread: Mass Air w/D3-R?

Junior SCH Member

Mass Air w/D3-R?

When running a D3-R, I am aware that most run a speed density/non-mass air set-up, however, I have been very happy with the PMS and would like to continue using it with the mass air. The thought was to go with the 117mm Pro-M, however, in looking at photos of the D3-R installed, it appears that the shock tower is in the way of routing a "power-pipe" type intake tube into the driver's side fender well.

Does anybody out there feel there is enough room to snake a power-pipe tube from the back of the blower into the fender well?

Thanks,

Greg
    Miami, FL
    A-4, 347 YS-Trim, Cast Iron Street Heats, Power Steering/Windows/Brakes/Door Locks, Steel Hood & Hatch, Stock A-Arms, Stock K-Member, Valid Tag/Insurance, Stock Front/Rear Seats, Factory Carpeting all around. Best ET/MPH 9.11/154.40 (different passes) @ 3405 lbs.

SCH Moderator
    It will be tough to do but may be possible. The D-3 requires a 5" inlet tube and getting a tight enough bend will most likely be the problem. Mine is a 4.5" inlet and I just make the bend past the shock tower.

The real problem will be in getting a mass air meter to work well with that blower. The amount of airflow is going to be the problem without pegging the meter calibration. Frankly, I wouldn't try this setup with a mass air meter but that's just me.
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

"ProCharger...not just blowing hot air"

Photos: http://www.cafords.com/images/john91coupe/hi-res/
    Videos: http://www.cafords.com/mpg/john91coupe/

SCH Member
    why not go to a blow through set up?
    93 notch-s-trim@11 p.s.i.,twisted wedge,GT-40,comp,306-pump gas only-10.93@129.7 on bfg drag radials--10.64@127.5 on ET drags
    548rwhp/502 rwtq

new 340" procharged combo in the works

Junior SCH Member

Thanks for the input & photos.

Thanks for the replys. I called and spoke with Rick Anderson today about this. He also suggested a blow through, and said that I should get the naturally aspirated model because there is a tuning glitch in the mid range area which is very difficult to tune around on the "supercharged" calibrations (very interesting, glad I called him).

Another question comes up. If I use blow through MAF, will the heated supercharger air throw off the meter's ability to richen mixture as the air gets hotter as RPM/Boost increases? My understanding is there is a heated element in the MAF that richens up based upon the amount of cooling effect of air rushing past the element. So if that air gets progressively hotter with RPM/Boost, then wouldn't the MAF's heated element not cool down as much, therefore it would interpret as if there is less air flowing through (than what really is) and thus not add appropriate additional fuel?

Hope you followed me on this........

Thanks,

Greg (Miami, FL)
    A-4, 347 YS-Trim, Cast Iron Street Heats, Power Steering/Windows/Brakes/Door Locks, Steel Hood & Hatch, Stock A-Arms, Stock K-Member, Valid Tag/Insurance, Stock Front/Rear Seats, Factory Carpeting all around. Best ET/MPH 9.11/154.40 (different passes) @ 3405 lbs.