Thread: "X" cam & NOVI 1ooo

Senior SCH Member frank woodall's Avatar

"X" cam & NOVI 1ooo

Can i use an "X" cam from Ford with my NOVI 1000 ? Will it perform well ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The replacement for displacement is measured in P.S.I."
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana
    90 LX Vert 5.0 (all stock 57,000mi)

what heads do you have? If you have the stock heads then i don't think that is the best choice.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    I have GT40p's and an X cam. No problems. It performss very well and has a great sounding idle.

Junior SCH Member
    Whats up with your intake? Was it shortened? Did you like the results?

fully ported & polished Holley Systemax Heads-1.90-1.60 valves, 61cc chambers, 63cc runners, in. 249cfm ex.181cfm
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana

The intake is a custom made fully modified Cobra Intake, It has a throttle opening of 80mm, completely ported & polished & extrude honed for maximum airflow, the GT-40 lower is also extrude honed then ported and polished ......OH YEA I'm going to sell it because i now have a completely done upper and lower Holley Systemax Intake to match the raised runners on my new heads!
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana

with the holley and the heads you have the x-cam will work great! I'm gonna do a bigger cam next year.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Originally posted by frank woodall
    The intake is a custom made fully modified Cobra Intake, It has a throttle opening of 80mm, completely ported & polished & extrude honed for maximum airflow, the GT-40 lower is also extrude honed then ported and polished ......
    Damn Frank, what kind of $$$ do you have in that intake??

BTW, just for giggles, double check the port alignment on the lower intake to head transition. My brand new outta the box TFS heads and lower intake port match was terrible. I had to have the intake milled down to get the roof of the ports to match up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar

Re: "X" cam & NOVI 1ooo

Originally posted by frank woodall
    Can i use an "X" cam from Ford with my NOVI 1000 ? Will it perform well ?
    Yes, you can use the x cam with your novi 1000.

Are there other cams available that might perform just as well or better, along with better idle and street manners? Yes.

Are there better blower cams? Yes.

Should you run the X if you can get one at a decent price? Sure, why not?

Will it perform well? This depends on your expectations. What do you expect to gain with this cam vs the stock roller cam? What do you expect the problems might be with this cam?

What you can expect to end up with is a hairy but liveable idle, possible tuning problems like a lean surge off idle, a failed smog test, a loss of about 30-40 ftLb at 2k rpm, but a gain of about 18-20 HP from 5000 to 6200, vs the stock roller cam. If that sounds like what you want then you have selected the right cam.

;)
    Chris

Senior SCH Member
    Chris

The sound of the idle is amazing with a blower. The blower is really obvious with the X. Sounds like a top fuel setup ;) LOL

Allow me to describe the idle (puts on Jim Carrey Mask):

"GROWWLLLL.....whistle.....GROOOOWWWWLL....whi stle whistle whistle.....GROOOOWWWLL" ;)

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    I bet it sounds better than that! <grin>

My main beef with the X cam is, in general, it is just slightly mismatched to most of the long runner intakes on a 302, and for blower cars in particular it could use a slightly wider lobe separation angle (IMO). For a street driver I'd want something a little milder but the x cam would still most likely beat a similarly built & blown stock cammed car in a drag race.
    Chris

5150LX , i would think that the alignment between the upper and lower intakes would be very good because the company that did the modifications have inserted alignment pins in-between the 2 intakes (1 front & 1 rear) , similar to those on the back of your engine block. So when you bolt the upper to lower it's almost perfect each time.
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana

I think i mis-understood you the first time......My Holley Systemax intake and the Holley Race heads were both prepared by Holley for a Blower car and completely Stage 2 ported and polished, so hopefully they'll match up good. Thanks though i'll check
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana

Frank, It's been my experience with the systemax that if you're gonna use that intake you might as well go with a larger cam like the X. I ran my combo for a year on the motor and it really never came alive till around 3800 or so. so you might as well get a cam in that range. I hope this helps.