Thread: What is the problem here

Junior SCH Member

What is the problem here

I have a P1SC on a 00 GT. From the very beginning I had problems with belt fittment. ATI said I need a 106" belt for my car, but the smallest I could fit was a 108". The 108" fits but now, after about 1500 miles, the something is makeing some serious noise when the car is cold. I messed with it today and it seems that when I pull back on the blower itself (pull it toward the front of the car) the noise goes away???
    I also had an issue with the idler pulley just above the A/C compressor. The one that comes on the car. They gave me a spacer that was supposed to go in between the pulley and the blower bracket, but it would not fit. So, I spaced it out as best I could with washers and left it at that.
    That fact that the noise goes away when I pull on the blower leads me to believe that the blower is OK and it is something to do with the belt path, or a pulley. However, I still can't understand why it goes away after I drive the car a few miles.
    The noise is a clanking sound, like metal on metal. A lot louder than you would think is normal.
    Any ideas???
    00 GT 5spd: 4.10 gears, 10#'s from the P1SC, 90MM MAF, 42# injectors, MAC cat back, Diablo Delta flip chip, Pro-5.0, King Cobra clutch, more to come...

My suggestion to you would be to just check clearances. It HAS to be something rubbing up against something else or hitting something else. Why it would do that only when it's cold, I have no clue... that would lead me to beleive that it is some sort of a belt issue. One thing that is KEY with these blower kits is belt alignment... that is so important and for some reason, some people have great luck with alignment right out of the box, and others have all sorts of problems on the same cars. If you pull on the blower and the metal clanking noise goes away, I would check the idler pulley next to the blower and see if there is any interference there... it seems like maybe the idler pulley isn't quite right because of the way that you had to space it (which would seem just fine to me... you have to do what you have to do to get it right), and maybe when you pull on the blower, it is changing the belt pull on that pulley and moving it slightly. I would start there, something seems fishy about that idler pulley. I would call up ATI and tell them that you got the wrong idler pulley spacer and they will send you a new one for your car I'm sure.

Let me know what you come up with. Good luck!

BTW, nice car. I was looking at it in the photo post.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Junior SCH Member
    It turned out that the bracket was rubbing on the idler pulley. I still don't know why it only did it in the cold, but the bracket is showing the tale of what was going on. There are some deep grooves in it.
    I think it is going to be OK now, but I noticed some oil in the intake system, and it is without doubt S/C oil :(
    ProCharger wants $300-$500 to fix it. Dam if it aint one thing, it's another.
    Thanx for the compliments on the car though.:)
    00 GT 5spd: 4.10 gears, 10#'s from the P1SC, 90MM MAF, 42# injectors, MAC cat back, Diablo Delta flip chip, Pro-5.0, King Cobra clutch, more to come...