Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
? about emissions, just failed, few ?s

Thread: ? about emissions, just failed, few ?s

Senior SCH Member

? about emissions, just failed, few ?s

Hey guys, failed emissions today. I have an 89 GT, novi 1000, 30lb. injectors, 255lph high pressure pump, mac hi flow catted h pipe, dynomax 2 1/2 cat back, I am running fmu calibrated for the 30s, pro m meter also calibrated for 30s and supercharged. The smog pump equipment was removed before I bought it, so I am not running a smog pump. I lowered the fuel pressure to 36psi with the vacuum disconnected, but when I connect the vacuum line, it still reads 35psi?
    My HC were 7.02 the limit is .8
    My CO was 20.1868 limit is 15
    My NOx was 3.4532 limit is 2.0
    Should I lower my fuel pressure some more to get it down?

I was in the same position as you - I was very close to passing. The MAC cats need the air feed to work - I attached the air pump, gave the MAC cats some air and I passed no problem!

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    I dont have the air pump, or any of the lines, running a smog delete pulley

You have to get a smog pump on there if you want any hope of passing. As Ian said, the MAC cats (all cats actually on 86-93) require the air feed to be fed air from the smog pump in order to work properly otherwise you may as well run no cats at all as they will eventually plug up with deposits without the air feed connected. There's just no way around it. The air works in conjunction with the cat to burn the bad stuff in the exhaust fumes....which is why you exceeded your limit on CO (Carbon Monoxide) CO is the biggest polluter which is primarily what cats were designed to remove or reduce.

where is your timming at, fresh oil change can reduce your HC's by alot. CO% is prolly high because of the 30#'s and no fresh air from the air pump. Your over injected for a stock longblock and at idle your CO% is going to be high. To get it to pass I'd change the oil, reduce the timming, and try it again, if you reduce FP anymore then the injectors will not atomize the fuel properly and the CO% could actually go up because they'd just be squarting instead of spraying. Hook up an air pump and see if that'd reduce emissions.
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

Senior SCH Member
    since there was no smog equipment on the car, the heads are plugged, and no hoses. If I get a smog pump, can I just run a hose from the pump to the h pipe, does anyone have pics of a smog pump for connecting like this?
    Thansk

I have no emissions equipment besides a line to the cats, no air to the heads, EGR, ect... I passed no problems..

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    by any chance, could I see a pic of your setup Ian? Thanks for the replies guys. Also, how did you mount it, do I need a bracket of any kind?

I am different that your setup as my blower is driver side. I used the stock brackets on the pass side to mount all my stuff.

Ian

They don't do emissions here, but it got me thinking the other day... what would happen if you disabled the bypass, and ran a pipe from the discharge tube the the exhaust for testing?? Recycle some air at vacuum and pump in nice fresh air under boost :) I don't think it would be even close to safe air/fuel wise, but I wonder what it would do at the smog-nazi place?

-Eric
    '91 Mustang GT/Saleen/Cobra R mut
    Novi 1000, GT-40X heads, GT-40 u/l intake, E-cam, 1.72 rr's, yadda yadda... and many other pointless-to-list mods.
    440 rwhp
    430 rwtq
    Pics (yes it actually works now, I'm slowly updating links for new server)