Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much BOOST W/ 8" asp Pulley ?

it clears up sometimes but starts to buck (better way to put it) after getting warm? i wrapped up the mam with some heat wrap stuff, seemed to help a lil maybe? or it might just be me. do you think that it could be that i dont have enough ignition? vortech said for me to get the MAM in the fender. but if im going to do that i might as well get a power pipe too. but if that doesnt solve it, im going to be really disapointed cause i wont know what its from.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Originally posted by green93notch
    I just cant figure out what would cause my car to break up around 2k RPMs and sometimes under load.
    That 2k stutter is a leak in a sparkplug wire, 90% of the time.
    Chris

should i just get new ones? i have a life time warentee on them.(bosch 8.7s?) had them on for about a year now.

Yes, get the fresh wires if no charge. First, try to find where the spark is leaking so you'll know how to avoid the problem with the next set of wires. I have seen anything from a small slice in a boot (the juice actually cuts thru the silicone) to a totally fried wire lying on an exhaust pipe. Sometimes the spark leak gets bad enough that you can spot it in the dark at idle, but it acts up the worst @ 2k rpm +/-.
    Chris

Originally posted by regattacoupe
    does anybody have any suggestion where to set total timing with the 8"? I have no retard....( waiting for the right deal for a pms or an intercepterII)
    Brent,

Scary thought, running double-digit boost with no retard. Unless you cherish the act of swapping head gaskets :( I would start out in the beginning (in the heat of mid-summer) at 6 initial which will give you 22 total - might be able to sneek back up on 24-26 in better air. Keep in mind that your intake air charge will be much hotter as you approach 1 bar of boost, it is the increased heat in the intake charge that makes the flame front travel much more quickly than at lower boost numbers. Also want your a/f mixture nice and fat, like in the mid 10:1 region when you get into this much boost, to help keep things cool in the chambers.

As for the PMS/Intercepter deal, have you considered the tweecer or eec-tuner instead? The online support community for these is very good lately, and with the PMS priced so high it's not a big jump to go all the way to a standalone efi system like Anderson's Xtreme efi.
    Chris

right now i have my timing at 8* with six pounds of boost. my 42lb injectors pour it on! so as long as i've got my timing cut back i would think that i'm safe. i'm not gonna put the 8" on till it cools off this fall. I have considered the tweecer and eec tuner but i haven't really checked into them. Do you have any experience with them? if so i'd like to chat with you!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D