Thread: Just locked up head unit...

SCH Member

Just locked up head unit...

Having just completed 900 trouble free miles travelling to the Le Mans 24 hr race last weekend I gave the car a really good clean up today and thought I would take it for a quick run.

As I left the village speed limit I got on the throttle in third and ran it round to 5500 rpm, I saw around 10psi on the gauge and it felt great. upon lifting to shift into fourth I heard a god awful noise, a screechy harsh noise. I dipped the clutch and the motor died, I coasted to a halt. The blower pulley was very hot and the belt had been spinning leaving lots of rubber dust all over the Novi.

The belt was removed and the pulley found to be locked solid :(
    I drove slowly home and removed the head unit, the impeller shows signs of ingesting something, all the fins are curled over and metal has been kind of welded to the volute. I removed the volute to investigate further, the blower will now rotate but feels very gritty.

Has anyone rebuilt one of these at home before? I am 5000 miles from Paxton and do not fancy sending it halfway across the world if I can help it! I shall call them on Monday and see how the land lies. I will also take and post some pictures on Monday as well.

My mass air meter is in the inner wing, it may have come away and allowed a small stone to get into the inlet, unfortunately it fell away as I was removing the blower and I cant be certain that wasd the cause. The only other possibility is worn bearings allowing the impeller to slam into the volute but as I say it has been running really well.

Just another drama to add to the rest of this years problems I guess, but it is getting tiresome.

Jeff
    1990 GT, B50 block,327 Stroker, Trickflows, GT-40. TFS Stg II cam, Novi 2000, Vortech fuel system, 42# inj, 75mm Pro-m mass air, PMS, Tremec 3550

11.46 @ 122.9 Quickest & fastest in the UK

Senior SCH Member
    Jeff,

I would call or email Kelly Herring at Paxton. His email is kherring@paxtonauto.com

Kelly should be able to tell you the best route you'll need to take in repairing the headunit.

I know there are several third parties that repair Paxton headunits. But I would personally rather deal with the manufacturer directly.

Mark

Senior SCH Member
    By the way... I saw this on BHMotorsports.com, thought you might like it :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let us know how it works out, sorry to hear about the bad luck :( Definitely ask Kelly what your options are though.

SCH Member
    Here are the pics, thats wicked mustangmark!!
    1990 GT, B50 block,327 Stroker, Trickflows, GT-40. TFS Stg II cam, Novi 2000, Vortech fuel system, 42# inj, 75mm Pro-m mass air, PMS, Tremec 3550

SCH Member
    And this one

Junior SCH Member
    your not the only one that is having problems like this i know some one else that had his making noise and found the impeller was hitting the volut also it it had 3 miles on it

holy crap! bummer.......it's always something
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member

It was oiling!!

Just took out the oil feed pipe from within the compressor only to find it blocked by two tiny bits of unidentifiable debris. The jet is tiny and an obvious possible problem area. I will have to rig up a filter if I ever get it fixed.

Can anyone identify this head unit for me ( I have mailed Paxton)

EO-D195-15-058581

It is apparently rear discharge and rotates clockwise, I will go check it tomorrow night, it is unused.

Thanks everyone

Jeff

Junior SCH Member
    by the serial # it looks like it is one of the granitelly units which means it probably has a 3.54 step up ratio in it and the better transmistion also just alittle info they havent made the 3.54 step up sor atleaset 4 or 5 years and the 3.54 is worth 470 rpm of impleler speed at 6000 rpm which is just under 1lb of boost and the impeler speed just keeps increacing the higher the engine rpm goes one other thing is to if you read your instructions it says you have a 7 inch bottem pulley well its not it is a 6.87 and that happend when vortec and paxton merged so they could save money on the kits and if you are wondering that is 1700 rpm of impeler speed which is about 3 lbs of boost at 6000 rpm sorry for rambeling on

Junior SCH Member
    UKFIVEO ,
    If you pull the oil seals out can you look for a part# for me?
    Paxton wont sell me any parts and i doubt if they will sell you anything either. i'm not going to pay shipping from Fla to Ca just for a 5 min job of putting in oil seals. I know where you can get bearings for a novi2000 but cant get the seals to put it back together.
    BTW, i lived in the UK for 7 yrs while in the USAF and loved it.