Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need more Boost

Junior SCH Member

Need more Boost

Hey folks,

I realize that my P600B is too small for my car, but i was wondering if anyone new any tricks to getting more boost out of them.

Ive got a 347 with AFR185's and a Holley intake.
    Right now im seeing 5-6 lbs of boost @ 6000 rpms, with a 14lb pulley.

They dude from ATI said that with the low step up ratio and 6 rib belt, that i wont be able to do much better.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with re-routing the airfilter, and possibly a larger crank pulley? etc... and what sort of gains i could expect.

Thanks a lot,
    Jon

SCH Member
    It sounds like you have massive slippage or a holed piston.

Make sure the belt is tight and do a compression/leakdown test.

Senior SCH Member
    ya I was seeing 11 pound on my freebreathing 351. with 14 pound pulley. you could try using a power pipe and 17 psi pulley. seems like this blower is too small for everything. good luck
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    The problem is, its on my 95 mustang, and the airfilter is located directly above the header. I am in the process of routing the filter into the cowl, and i have ordered a 17 psi pulley. Ill keep you posted as to how it turns out.

The guy from ATI also said to put some trackbite on the belt so it grips better. Anyone heard of this before?

And i dont think i have a holed piston... there is 800 miles on this motor.

Thanks for the help.

Senior SCH Member
    never heard of this. I had that same problem with the filter above the headers. used storm drain pipe and moved it away it help. but no more boost. are maybe you could get a richard racing pulley
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    what is a Richard Racing pulley?

Anyone know where you can get a larger crank pulley?

Ive heard that the ones from F-150's are and bolt on...

Senior SCH Member
    You can get a larger crank pulley but the F150 pulley wont fit our 94-95's its only good for the fox's You can call up ASP and they will custom make you a pulley (I think you want a 71/4" ) it's about $125. Thats my next step but now that the blower blew up I have to pay to rebuild the POS. I had the 17lb pulley on my P600 as well as a custom 3.5" power pipe and I only saw 11psi max on my very free breathing DSS 306... It is basically equivelant to a powerdyne....makes no boost and isnt upgradable to nothing.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Senior SCH Member
    ya I called on that f150 pulley and they told me that they could make one. and richard makes custum pulley with ultra crip dont have the number will try to get it.

Junior SCH Member
    Larger crank pulley sounds good... but the only problem is the clearance with the waterpump. There is like half an inch maybe between the two. Now can i get a smaller waterpump pulley? Or would that just spin it too quick and cause problems?

I could get an electric one i guess, but im not crazy about that idea, and i hate changing the stupid things.

Thanks again for the continuous help...

Jon

Junior SCH Member
    With my 306 and good flowing heads, I saw 10-11 at 6k with the 17# pulley. VHT or belt dressing will help with the belt slip, but the 17# pulley is really small. How do you get around the darned stock tensioner letting off? The link for the Reichard pullies is below - seems overpriced and could be done at a machine shop cheaper. I have a '94 and the air filter over the header setup seemed to be a bad idea, but I tried several configurations including no hood and never saw a difference. Maybe the air is moved in fast enough not to get heated, I dont know. If you have the small filter ATI includes, replace it with a larger one. I saw 1-2 psi that way. It was a K&N also. I think it was about 12" long, 6" diameter at the larger end. Barely fit between the intake and brake reservior. Of course, the easy way to more boost is to sell the P-600 and move over to the D-1 forum! (or D-2...)

Pete

http://www.reichardracing.com/index.htm

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the link there pcn.

To me, it looks like those pulleys will chew up a belt pretty quick. Guess you never know until you try right?

I would try one out, but i just ordered the 17 lb pulley from ATI. Gonna see what that does for me, and maybe try some VHT.

I think a larger crank pulley is the way to go. As long as that doesnt spin the other accesories too quick. Does anyone have any insight on that?

Any help would be awesome...

Thanks,
    Jon

Junior SCH Member
    On my D1 setup the 7.65 crank pulley interfered with the water pump pulley, so I went to a remote electric pump. Since I deleted the AC and PS, now I have one belt running the alternator and another running just the SC. Supposedly the pre-93 front cover will work with the larger crank pulley since the accessories are set back more.

Senior SCH Member
    I see about 10-11psi with the 17psi pulley on my free breathing 306 also. I was told by ATI that the P600 is basically junk for anything more than a stock motor. I switched to a homemade powerpipe with the filter in the fenderwell (had to cut and modify the inner fender quite a bit) and went with a GoodYear Gatorback belt and that seemed to help me quite a lot, about a month later the bearings went out in it, so I guess I was spinning it a little too hard..... :) If your only seeing 5-6psi then you have a leak in the piping somewhere or a major problem elsewhere....it should at least do 8-9 psi.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Junior SCH Member
    I think that one of the biggest problems i have is that since i put taller valve covers on, i had to move the alternator over just a little. All of a sudden my belt was too short. So i used the stock belt and by-passed the smog pump.

Now i think that the angle in which the belt touches the tensioner is not as good, and alows it to slip. Under heavy throttle i can see it completly decompress. And thats when the belt slips.

Not tottaly sure. Just a hunch.

I guess i need to custom order a longer belt and run the smog pump again. Anyone know of a better than stock tensioner?

Thanks,
    Jon
    95GT: 347 stroker, AFR 185cc heads,Holley Systemax II intake, Anderson B-31 cam, Pro-M Universal MAF, 42lb injectors, 14psi P600B.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by pcn
    On my D1 setup the 7.65 crank pulley interfered with the water pump pulley, so I went to a remote electric pump. Since I deleted the AC and PS, now I have one belt running the alternator and another running just the SC. Supposedly the pre-93 front cover will work with the larger crank pulley since the accessories are set back more.
    Hey dude,

You havent run into any troubles with the electric water pump did you?

It would keep things cool on a street car?

Thanks.
    95GT: 347 stroker, AFR 185cc heads,Holley Systemax II intake, Anderson B-31 cam, Pro-M Universal MAF, 42lb injectors, 14psi P600B.