Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt slipage

Junior SCH Member

Belt slipage

I have changed from a S-trim to an SQ on my 95 Cobra. I'm running the stock pullies. 3.33 Ever since moving to the SQ I ht the have not been able to keep the belt from slipping. Has anyone else had such problems? Any ideas? I've been running the belt a lot tighter than I ever did with the S-trim. I seen about 9#s of boost at 5200 RPM when the belt starts slipping. I'm making 515hp/456tq at the wheels with the stock pullies.

Senior SCH Member
    preety good what else you got done.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    crane 1.7 roller rockers - steeda #19 cam - 65mm throttle body - custom power pipe - 42lb injectors - pro m 80mm maf - ford cobra ported upper and lower intake - edelbrock ported heads - vortech sq-trip supercharger - msd 6al - t-rex booster fuel pump - 255 intake fuel pump - jba 1 5/8 shorty headers - bassani catted x-pipe - bassani catback exhaust - autologic chip - etc...

Senior SCH Member
    Why did you switch...quiet it down?

Are you using the same belt...maybe you need a new one, even though it worked fine on the S?
    Stock Blocks are Unbreakable

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by eades5.0
    Why did you switch...quiet it down?

Are you using the same belt...maybe you need a new one, even though it worked fine on the S?
    My S-trim was old and needed rebuilt. It made it 65,000 miles. I was getting tired of the noise so I just went with Vortech upgrade program. I've used a new Gates belt as well as a new GoodYear belt with the same results. I'm at a loss as to why the stock pullies would slip.

Banned by Admin
    Hey Ken, do a search for tensioners, I too have a S-trimmed 95 cobra and I bought a belt tensioner from a guy in new york who make them for 30 bucks, works killer, and I see 10psi all day long with stock pullies. I've also seen them on e-bay, search Vortech. Hope this helps.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by 5LVENOM
    Hey Ken, do a search for tensioners, I too have a S-trimmed 95 cobra and I bought a belt tensioner from a guy in new york who make them for 30 bucks, works killer, and I see 10psi all day long with stock pullies. I've also seen them on e-bay, search Vortech. Hope this helps.
    Thanks! I'll take a look. What does this tensioner look like?

Senior SCH Member
    Im that guy in NY w/ the tensioners. Thanks 5LVENOM for the good word of mouth. Glad to hear your loving it still.
    Its better to email me direct at tstang90@yahoo.com as I cant frequent all the boards that often.
    1990 GT Convertible

Senior SCH Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tstang
    Im that guy in NY w/ the tensioners. Thanks 5LVENOM for the good word of mouth. Glad to hear your loving it still.
    Its better to email me direct at tstang90@yahoo.com as I cant frequent all the boards that often.
    [/QUOTE

]

man, your real fast on the replies :D

Junior SCH Member
    I run the SQ in the NMRA Real Street class. I use the HP Motorsport blower brace and the AFM Belt tensioner. Between the two I see 17 pounds at 7100 with a 3.47" Pulley.

Robin

Senior SCH Member
    I guess timing was right Jess, I only pop on this site every now and then!
    1990 GT Convertible

Senior SCH Member
    lol, i check it everyday :)

hey Ken, did you fix it ?

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by V2-SQ Jess
    lol, i check it everyday :)

hey Ken, did you fix it ?
    No, not yet. I got a tensioner from tstang but I haven't put it on yet. I need to pick up a new belt before I try it. My Gates belt is glazed I'm sure. Hopefully I'll be ready to give it a try by Friday.

Junior SCH Member
    Well I'v tried the tension, a riechard ultra grip 3.2 pulley and an ASP 7" crank pulley and I still have belt slippage issues at the 5000rpm range. Does anyone make a blower brace for a 94-95 Mustang? 10-Rib setup? Cog system on an SQ? Ideas?
    Last edited by KenI; 06-15-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Contact HP motorsports. I picked up a blower brace from them. Its super nice.