Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
D-1 Install Hell Pics
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D-1 Install Hell Pics

Junior SCH Member

D-1 Install Hell Pics

ATI said I may have to "trim" some of the fender well. It's looking like I'm going to have to completely cut it out from the coil to the headlights.

ATI claims it will fit under my stock hood. They say my aftermarket hood is the reason it isn't clearing right now. What do you guys think?

Chad
    78 Regal (stock)
    89 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary (parts purchased, but not installed)
    93 Mustang LX 5.0 ex-FHP car (modified)
    02 Camaro Z28 35th Anniversary (light mods)
    http://members.aol.com/chadtn

SCH Moderator
    I'm no expert on the D-1 setups but to be perfectly honest I have never seen a D-1 with the head unit angled over as far as yours. Almost looks like the brackets are the wrong ones or the clocking of the blower is incorrect. I would send these photo's to ATI to get their opinion.
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

"ProCharger...not just blowing hot air"

Photos: http://www.cafords.com/images/john91coupe/hi-res/
    Videos: http://www.cafords.com/mpg/john91coupe/

Junior SCH Member
    how old are your motor mounts?

Forget the mounts... did you buy this kit bran new? I can tell you right now that the blue ATI label specifficaly needs to be facing upward for proper oiling... so that isn't going to work anyway. You have the wrong brackets. The main bracket is the same one that I have on my P1SC kit, but the blower bracket that you have looks like either an old D1 style kit bracket or possibly the renegade blower bracket, there is no way that bracket belongs to that kit. I'd start sending them some pictures... that sucks that you cut your car out like that... that is just not right.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Junior SCH Member
    WOW that's really so close.
    I have a friend with the same exact setup and his is not even half the way far as yours also he have a 2 or 3 inch cervinis cowl hood on it. Something is wrong in there. Like John91coupe said, it would be a good idea to send ATI the pictures.

Good Luck.
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

Junior SCH Member
    The motor mounts and the kit are brand new. The ProCharger logo on the front of the blower is horizontal (left to right just like you would read on a sign) and the oil return is pointing straight down like it should. I'll try sending the pictures to ATI and see what they say. When I called them this week they told me it is normal for the blower to be all the way in the wheel well.

Chad
    78 Regal (stock)

I appologize, I didn't even pay attention to the fact that it isn't an SC blower... in that case, you would need that blue label directly on top no matter what the configuration (according to ATI) for proper oiling of the system. I would definitely send pictuers to ATI, that is rather rediculous if you ask me. I wouldn't have cut my car up like that for them.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by WA2FAST
    I appologize, I didn't even pay attention to the fact that it isn't an SC blower... in that case, you would need that blue label directly on top no matter what the configuration (according to ATI) for proper oiling of the system. I would definitely send pictuers to ATI, that is rather rediculous if you ask me. I wouldn't have cut my car up like that for them.
    I didn't want to, but I had the car sitting in a friends drive way and was trying to get it done. I was pretty pissed when I got done cutting all that material and it isn't even close yet. Then find out the hood won't even shut because it is sitting on the blower.

Chad
    78 Regal (stock)

Yea, call up ATI, get one of the tech's e-mail addresses and send him those pictures, that's a bit rediculous.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    I have a friend that has that same set up. And YES it is the right one. He had a P600b then made the swap to the D-1. He was insitant on keeping the PS, the AC didn't work, but he said he was going to fix it (still hasn't) So he now has the same set up that you have. And yes it looks just like that. We took our time to do the cutting and made it look really nice. Then painted to cut areas over again. Then used a bit of "door edge trim" to help hide the sharp edges. Overall it turned out quite nice, for the amount of trimming. Now the 3 core intercooler verticaly mounted in a LX. That was a different story.......

I would say take your time, make it look nice, and the power will make it all worth it.

EA

PS: Why is there a "carb" fuel filter in that first picture? You might want to get rid of that for flow reasons now that your moving into the "boosted" club. You will want all the flow you can get. Also make sure you are using very good clamps on the fuel lines we reconnecting them. Since if you are using a FMU, the Fuel press. will be elevated now past 38-42psi.
    More boost then a 20psi gauge.

Junior SCH Member
    Here is ATI's response:

Dear Chad,

That is the correct position. When that kit was first designed there was
    almost no one that ran AC and PS. Since the D-1 was mostly on race cars,
    there was no need for it. Then when street cars wanted to run the D-1's
    with AC and PS. Due to the size we suggested going to the SC style units.
    Though some people still wanted the oil fed units, so the D-1 was made to
    work with the AC/PS bracket. The sheer size was the enemy of the install.
    And for that kit, it is normal for that much to be removed. The pulley is a
    bit large, and may have to be swapped for a 4.25 since it won't clear your
    hood. It all depends on the brand of hood, as to it clearing or not. I am
    sure this is not the answer you are wanting, but those are the correct
    brackets.

Regards,
    ATI
    78 Regal (stock)

Junior SCH Member
    I don't understand why they can't make the right brackets for the blower to start with. It sits WAAYYY up for no reason that I can see. There are several inches under the blower. If it was dropped down it wouldn't be hitting the hood or be shoved into the fender like it is. The way it sits now even if I ran it with no hood at all...if the engine torques UP it will be smacking the fender of the car...Not the fenderwell...the fender. I have brand new convertible mounts so I'm hoping it won't move too much, but it is almost up on it with the car not even running.

This entire install has been a disaster. I will make it a point to recommend a different brand to anyone that asks me about my kit. Their tech support is a joke and they come across like morons. They have a bad attitude as soon as they answer the phone...which I am assuming is because they have SOOOOO many pissed off people calling them.

It looks like I will be paying out of my pocket for tubing and for a custom made/modified bracket because who ever they have working over there that claims to be an engineer can't properly use a tape measure.

Chad
    78 Regal (stock)

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by TheSVTKid

PS: Why is there a "carb" fuel filter in that first picture? You might want to get rid of that for flow reasons now that your moving into the "boosted" club. You will want all the flow you can get. Also make sure you are using very good clamps on the fuel lines we reconnecting them. Since if you are using a FMU, the Fuel press. will be elevated now past 38-42psi.
    If you are talking about that little filter near the passanger side valve cover it was left over from my old SystemMax II install. The intake kept sucking a crap load of oil...that was to help filter it out.

Chad
    78 Regal (stock)

Junior SCH Member
    When I was helping my friend with his install, belive me chad we thought the same thing about moving it down. But the fact of the matter is that it really couldn't be moved down due to the belt travel. Then when we called to get belts for replacement, we found that they are only made in 1" incriments. So if we were going to modify the bracket, there is a chance that there would be no 12 rib belt on the planet that would have fit correctly.

To retain AC, and PS. Cutting it the only option. I hope I can dig up some pics of my buddys LX. But it's been a while since I had them laying around my old dorm room. Poor little LX, we had to do some cutting... but 562 RWHP later it was all worth it.

I hear ya on the filter for the valve cover.... You have to remember you can't hook that to the intake anymore, and it will vent to the air, or the intake side of the blower. OR you will have a real mess on your hands. If you had a lot of problems with blow by before, you may want to do a compression test, before putting the blower on it. Since you will have to vent that into the intake side of the blower. And a lot of oil vapor can cause detonation.

I wouldn't knock the tech guys to bad, but thats just the kinda guy I am. You won't ever see me on this site bashing a product, or a person. Since that I always heard "Don't judge a person till you walk a mile in their shoes" Or whatever that saying is. And I can tell you, I won't be walking in theirs anytime soon.

Maybe you can ditch the AC, or switch to a vortech without the intercooler, I'm sure someone would be willing to cut the fender on a race car, and might trade you. There are always options.

EA
    More boost then a 20psi gauge.

Junior SCH Member
    I got a dirty e-mail from ATI. Pretty much all it said was to ask before posting their e-mails and that they were going to add a note in my service log so that other techs will know that I don't need their support and will bash them on the internet.

For the record I didn't call them morons...I said they come across like morons. I guess it's all part of the game to play dumb and avoid costing the company any money. They already have mine and want to hold on to as much as possible.

Ever since I was told to run my stock mass air meter I've considered the tech support to be a joke.
    78 Regal (stock)