Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
D-1 Install Hell Pics - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D-1 Install Hell Pics

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by TheSVTKid
    I hear ya on the filter for the valve cover.... You have to remember you can't hook that to the intake anymore, and it will vent to the air, or the intake side of the blower. OR you will have a real mess on your hands. If you had a lot of problems with blow by before, you may want to do a compression test, before putting the blower on it. Since you will have to vent that into the intake side of the blower. And a lot of oil vapor can cause detonation.
    At the time the engine had about 500 miles on it. I did a compression test and all eight cylinders hit 155. I ended up having to have the motor torn back down again not too long after because the oil pump shaft twisted and broke in two. Everything was checked while it was torn down so it should be ok.

I guess I'm just going to have to cut my hood, trim the fender as best I can, and remove the rest of the fender well if changing the bracket isn't an option. Since the 80mm Pro-M meter I bought won't work, and ATI doesn't carry anything large enough to slip over the 80mm C&L I had sitting around I guess I'll have to buy another meter or get some custom tubing made. I'll probably end up having to do both.

Chad
    78 Regal (stock)
    89 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary (parts purchased, but not installed)
    93 Mustang LX 5.0 ex-FHP car (modified)
    02 Camaro Z28 35th Anniversary (light mods)
    http://members.aol.com/chadtn

Junior SCH Member
    Sounds like you are well on the right track.... Good luck with the project.

I do have to ask you why you would think that a tech is a joke for telling you a stock mass air meter is a wrong to use? If you have to run one, all you have to do is set up your mass air transfer functions in the chip to work with the stock meter. Not really a big deal at all, I made 584.6 RWHP on a stock meter, so are you saying I am wrong? I switched to a 80mm meter, and picked up... ABSOLUTLY nothing? Big waste of money, and also time tuning. So I would have to say that tech that told you that a stock meter would be ok, was right on. Bigger doesn't always mean better, and he was probly trying to help you save some time and money. Since you could sell that big CL, and go with a 75mm Pro-M bullet.

CL meters also don't work well with Boost Believe me. I have tryed that also, because of the way the sample tube set up works. You will have nothing but tuning issues with that CL if you are keeping it as a Blow through set up. So this is probly the main reason ATI told you to stick with the stock unit for now. I have personaly never tried the CL as a draw through on a blower car. So I can't help you there. But BELIEVE me, now that I think about it, if you told the Tech at ATI you had a CL. I know why he told you to stick with the stock unit. I'm not saying you "can't" make it work, but you will have issues plain and simple.

EA
    More boost then a 20psi gauge.

Senior SCH Member
    never had a problem with my c/l meter.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by TheSVTKid
    I do have to ask you why you would think that a tech is a joke for telling you a stock mass air meter is a wrong to use? If you have to run one, all you have to do is set up your mass air transfer functions in the chip to work with the stock meter. Not really a big deal at all, I made 584.6 RWHP on a stock meter, so are you saying I am wrong?
    What year car are you running and what size is your stock mass air meter? At what rpm did you peg the meter and how much tuning did it take to get it running safely that way?

I pulled the stock mass air meter off of my 89 GT today and looked through it. The air passes through a hole about the size of two..maybe three of my fingers. If I can safely make over 500rwhp cramming air through that hole I'll give it a shot. Maybe I will have to eat my words. I just haven't seen many people running around with a D-1 Procharger, 42lb injectors, Victor Jr heads, a Victor intake, and 3" dual exhaust bragging about how much money they saved by just using the stock 50mm (or what ever size it is) mass air meter. heh...I can probably stick my mass air meter inside my throttle body. ; )

Chad
    78 Regal (stock)

Senior SCH Member
    I have a 94 cobra, revved the car to 6200, never had a stock meter. put have the pro m univer, and the 80mm c/l had with tuning and no tuning. took my pro m off just recently and put my c/l meter back on and still runs great, had to take my chip out because it was calibrated for a supercharger and my blower broke. both meters are calibrated for 42 pound injectors. never pegged my meter.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    I wasn't trying to start an argument, so please don't flame my answers.
    I was not saying keep your stock meter forever, but rather save the money by using it if you have to until you swap to a pro-m if you choose to. If you call C&L and talk to Lee Bender, he will tell you that their meters are not recommended on a blow-through boost application. I don't know about you, but if he isn't recommending it, then it would make me raise an eyebrow. I'm not bashing a product here, cause I think C&L's work great on NA cars, N20 etc. I just haven't had good experiences when adding 14psi or more boost. I see that there are a few people that have posted, that have had good results with them. I would chat with them and see what was done to the tune to make it work. I see a lot of people that get huge mass air meters, and TB's. But I don't get what the gain is, since the D-1 has a 3" outlet (76.2mm), your intercooler is 3" in and out, all tubing is 3". Keeping everything as close to the same size, would aid in keeping the turbulence down, and the tune near perfection.

As for how my car made the power. 50lb injectors, lot's of FP, 19psi boost,D1-SC, and good old fashion "secret tuning." It can be done.

As I stated above, good luck with the project. Hope that it all works out for you. Maybe see you at an event some time....

And I can tell you that I know something about size being the enemy of a good fit. My New F2.... I wish my motor was back from the Machine shop :(

Happy Motoring,
    EA
    More boost then a 20psi gauge.

Senior SCH Member
    ya I never ran that much boost with my c/l I only had 11psi max. so maybe when you up the boost bad things happen. off the subject how do you like the d1. keep hearing bad things want to put on my car. I guess i got lucky with my c/l but not my pro m

Junior SCH Member
    I worked on the car a little more today and took some more pics. If anyone can point out anything I've done wrong just let me know because as it sits now everything looks like crap. The blower is wedged up against the power steering pump. I was almost certain that it was going to break because I could hear it creaking and popping as I tightened up the bolt. I can't get the 12 rib belt to fit at all. In the picture you see here I was just trying to run the belt pulley to pulley without using the tensioner at all and the belt wouldn't even get close to slipping over the pulley. The hose coming off the head unit is wedged up against the mount where the sway bar used to bolt. It looks like it will saw it in half over time. I cut forward another inch or two so the pulley will actually clear the fender now, but I had to relocate the coil and starter solenoid because it looks like I'm going to have to cut all the way up to the strut tower so the air filter can go in the fender like the instructions show. If any one has some tips or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Chad

78 Regal (stock)

Junior SCH Member
    Chad, You'll probably have to take out the 3 bolts on the head unit bracket and swing it down on the 1 bolt. It gives you just enough room to get belt over the shoulder on th pelley. Then pull it back up and put bolts back in. I have to do this the first time I put belts on untill it stretches a bit. What size belt are you using?
    93 vibrant GT, 306, iron gt40 heads, edelbrock intake, E303, c&l maf, 36# injectors, D-1B procharger, tremec 3550, spec stage 3. 445rwhp 450tq. SOLD

03 cobra, 2.8 pulley, magnaflow x-pipe and exhaust, RWTD predator tune, 463 RWHP,479 tq.

Junior SCH Member
    That is a good idea as far as swinging the unit down. We did it by placing the belt on the blower pulley, and then getting it started on the crank pulley. Then slowly bumping the motor over. I belive the belt size we used was a 68" belt if memory serves correct. Though I think he had a 4.25 pulley, on the blower. You will notice that the belt will stretch as the temps change, and the age of the belt.

EA

Junior SCH Member
    boy if ati was that serious about not helping you i would find out the guys name and call again to find out who is in charge of tech service and talk to who ever it is and complain about him. that useally helps if that don't work post back here so more people can see these guys aren't even worth buying from because if you don't have good service from these people why the hell would you want to buy from them. as a matter of fact i heard of a ton of people that bought from these guys and ended up getting screwed buy them because there brackets where not made right they never lined up with the bolt holes and they told them that all the got to do is mill them. and some people that did get the brackets to work they couldn't get the belt tight, they don't like returned stuff.

Junior SCH Member crazystang331's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chadtn
    If you are talking about that little filter near the passanger side valve cover it was left over from my old SystemMax II install. The intake kept sucking a crap load of oil...that was to help filter it out.

Chad
    My buddy had the same problem with his system max intake and we found out that holley doen't put a baffel under the PCV valve port. You have to take the baffel off your old intake. If you don't put your old baffel on the holley intake it will suck massive oil through the PCV valve and into the intake. So if you changed your intake to edelbrock you shouldn't have any more oil problems.

Sorry your having so much problems with your procharger. Thats ridiculous that the blower sits all the way in the fender like that.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/crazystang331 88 MUSTANG LX
    331 SPORTSMAN AFR 185 PROCHARGER D1

Junior SCH Member
    If you're going to ditch the A/C, then maybe you should look for a different set of brackets. Perhaps you could make a set from an F-1 application fit better.
    Last edited by CharlieTuna; 02-07-2004 at 06:31 PM.

Junior SCH Member crazystang331's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BO TY KLR
    Chad, You'll probably have to take out the 3 bolts on the head unit bracket and swing it down on the 1 bolt. It gives you just enough room to get belt over the shoulder on th pelley. Then pull it back up and put bolts back in. I have to do this the first time I put belts on untill it stretches a bit. What size belt are you using?
    I had the same problem getting my belt on. So i took the pulley off and put the belt on then slid the pulley back on the blower. It went on with no trouble, But i don't know if it will be as easy for you since your blower is sticking through the fender.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/crazystang331 88 MUSTANG LX
    331 SPORTSMAN AFR 185 PROCHARGER D1

holley does supply a baffle with the systemax intake but you have to install it yourself which takes about 10 seconds. i still have the issue with oil in my tb though with this intake, oh well.