Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal Meter Size???

Junior SCH Member

Universal Meter Size???

I'm about to order a Universal meter for a 99 GT that has a procharger P1SC Stage 2. What do you think the best size I should order it in? Also If you have any input about this meter, please write about it.

Right now, I have a 90mm Lightning Meter and it's giving me trouble and already pegged.
    I'm having trouple getting my car to idle and drive nice during cruise!

Thanks in advance.
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

Senior SCH Member
    Are you talking about the univer from pro m, because if your are let me tell you that me and way2fast are having trouble with are univer. so keep that in mind
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the replying. Yeah, I'm looking for the Pro M the plus and the original one. What kind of problems are you guys facing?
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

The Pro-M Univer (not universal) is in theory a good meter, but is hand made, so the quality control is a key factor. Lately, Pro-M seems to be in the trend of letting that slide a bit. From what I hear, the 3" Univer seems to come out working better than the 3.5". I guess for a while they were having trouble getting the 3.5" to work correctly, so they stopped shipment while the bugs were worked out (again, that's what I have heard from more than one source). The 3" seems to be a good unit compared to any of the others. The Univer Plus would be my first choice for a couple of reasons, and I now wish that is what I went with when I bought mine. The Univer Plus is a cast unit, so that will reduce if not eliminate manufacturing flaws and/or errors physicaly associated with the meter itself. Secondly, it seems that some of the metering issues associated with the origional Univer have been cleared up and the meter will register airflow better at low volume. You don't need anything over 3" on your car anyway, so I would call up Pro-M for their recomendation. Just so you know though, ANY Univer is NOT a plug-n-play meter like others... the car will REQUIRE tuning, if you do not have your car dyno tuned, you are seriously running the risk of detination because of their oh-so-famous lean condition. Let us know how it works out for you and what you go with.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for replying WA2FAST .

The thing is we don't have a tuner in my area, I live in Oregon. I have a JMS chip which is a mail order one.

I hope they will tune right, because I asked them to reburn the chip again and I have the same problem at idle and part throttle.

Let me know any more information that can help me.

Thanks
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

What is your part throttle problem?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    The car just hesitates and bucks from time to time. Also, during shiftting it would misfire or you can call it pops from the exhaust like it's in a rich condition.

Today, I unpluged the MAF and started the car and the idle was a rock solid idle!!! What do you think it seems like? to me I think it's the maf, I need a new maf anyway because it's pegged.
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

Senior SCH Member
    my car did the same thing with my pro m and I could not figure out what it was. took the pro m out because the car would not run with out the computer chip, put my c/l back on runs fine.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Hmm, sounds like mine quite a bit actually. I have a stock one thanx to a friend that we are going to try in it tomorrow just to see what it does. I'll let you know.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    Hey all again.

A big surprise for me that JMS will NOT reburn my chip out of his site. Meaning that I need to get to his dyno so he can tune the Univer for my car. The problem is that I live in Oregon and we don't have a dyno tuner near buy, also I bought the meter already.

WHat do you guys think I should do? Different MAF? Will I be able to tune it my self through a mafterburner?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

Junior SCH Member
    D1_procharged, if you are intereseted i have a 3.5 Univer Plus for sale that is pretty much new condition if you are interested. Juiced46@aol.com

Dave
    2003 Procharger Powered SVT Cobra
    F1A
    636rwhp 541rwtq

Junior SCH Member
    Juiced46, thanks for the offer. I already ordered the UNIVER from Pro M , I don't know if I can cancel it yet.

Waiting for answers guys!
    95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT

Senior SCH Member
    I heard from some people that you cannot tune it from the mafterburner. and you have to get it tuned.

Junior SCH Member
    I had a DIABLO,UNIVER 3.5, and a MAFTERBURNER. She ran real rough until I dropped the WALBRO (came with the P-1SC) and add a Chicane FuelP Pump

My Tuner got her running as smooth as silk after that. 456RWHPs.

Junior SCH Member

*UPDATE*UPDATE*

Hey Guys,

I got the UNIVER maf today and gladly JMS burned my chip for me for the UNIVER.

Let me tell you this, the car runs so much better than with the old maf which is the Lightning. The idle is nice and "Almost" steady. The drivability is much more like a stock.

Overall, I'm 100% happy with the decision I made.

Thanks for every body that Helped me and replyed to my post.

If anybody have any Q's, please post and I will be replying ASAP.

95 D1 GT
    01 P1SC GT