Thread: Smog Pump

Junior SCH Member

Smog Pump

do i really need to get the smog pump eliminator? or is there a way around it? 91 mustang lx. I also have the a/c delete kit in.
    Ive seen thisa mentioned a few times, but im still unclear on a solution

Thanks

Could you please elaborate a little more about your question? Are you trying to eliminate your smog pump? Are you asking if you have to eliminate the smog pump to run the Novi2K?
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member

details

Sorry ill be more clear. Ive researched this but have not really found the answer. I even tried calling paxton and they told me to ask on corral and novipower, so here I am. I have no A/C and no smog pump on a 1991 lx. This was done before the novi install. The smog pump was just removed and a shorter belt used in place. The a/c used the ford motorspport a/c delete that moved the powersteering up. Now I have noticed that the altenator uses the smog pump for part of its bracketing on the novi, and its seems that the smog pump also adds some structure to the novi bracket in general. How do I work out this pulley issue. I do not have the old smog pump. My question is, what do i have to do to hold the altenator in place and what do i do about the belts. Do i need to get the smog pump eliminator kit? does it have the bolt hole for the altenator bracket? Thanks for the help. I need it. I have the NOVI2000. Also what do you all think about tuning? Is a custom chip necessary? Or will the MSD 6 BTM and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator do it? ive included some details below if it helps.

Pro-M 80mm (for s/c applications) MAF Accufab 65mm TB Cobra intake 42lb injectors Crower 15512 cam Edelbrock Performer 5.0 heads: 1.90 valve intake 1.60 exhaust BBK longtube headers, with matching off-road h-pipe and MAC catback

As far as the belt routing goes, I would suggest that you send a PM to UNTCHBL(Brandon). He just got done with the same install as you are going through. As far as the tuning goes. I would highly suggest that you get a chip burned for it. Your car should make in the 450-500rwhp range properly tuned. The only way it will live is with no detonation. You can dial in the timing and fuel curves alot easier. Are you using an FMU? If you are not, then your drivability probably is poor. The tuner can clear that up completly. If you are still using the FMU, throw that thing in the trash and get a dyno tune.
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member
    Wlord1,
    I just got done installing my Novi. It sounds great. I had the March A/C eliminator and it works great. I did need to get the smog eliminator though. I had heard that the FMS eliminator does not work with a blower.
    Anyhow, I have about the same combo as you. I am planning to get the car tuned soon...it is off the road for the winter now. Anyhow, I have an Autologic chip that I will use for the tuning, from what I can tell, this is the way to go. I have 42# injectors and the car idled for about 15 minutes w/o fouling and 40 psi fuel pressure. I am thinking of the FMU only so I can turn down FP for idling.

Good luck!