Thread: Changing pullies

Junior SCH Member

Changing pullies

Hey guys.. I'm trying to change from a cog pulley on the head unit to a normal flat belt pulley and I can't get the cog pulley off! I don't think a regular pully puller would be able to get underneath it. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

SCH Member
    FIVE-O
    I used the steering wheel puller and it worked very good, because it would not grab the pulley from beneath but it used 2 bolts at the front side of the cog pulley.
    I hope this would help you.
    By the way, i also have a p600b installed in my stang, and at idle ( 650 to 700 rpm) i get this metallic rattle sound from the supercharger, but once I pull it up to 1,000 rpm or more the werid sound goes off and the wisttle is perfect.
    Have you have the same noise at idle?
    Thanks for the help.
    pablo

Senior SCH Member
    I had werid metallic sound at idle to 1000rpms and it turned out to be that bearings in my transmission were bad.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

SCH Member
    blownwindsor
    but that weird sound you had was like the sound of a bad bearing or like a rattle metallic sound?
    thanks
    pablo

Senior SCH Member
    a rattle metallic sound and I would of never guessed to be the trans in my blower.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    Pablo
    Thanks for the reply.. I eneded up getting it off by heating it up pretty good and working it off with a couple screwdrivers. Did you get that noise straightened out? I havn't run the blower yet.. My friend was running the cog drive set-up then sold the blower to me.

SCH Member
    five-o
    I still have the noise since I bought this used p600b.
    It had about 2000 miles on it and I put 400 miles and still the noise is there.
    It is good to hear you got the pulley off.
    By the way now that you took off the pulley it is a good idea to replace the oil seal.
    iI did it in mine, it is a ver cheap seal that you can get in any parts store.
    i used the oil seal form a nissan tranny, adn it worked very fine, not even one drop of oil comming out.
    thanks
    pablo

Junior SCH Member
    Pablo,
    What type of harmonic balancer are you running?

SCH Member
    five O
    I use the stock harmonic balancer and the crank pulley from ATI.
    mm....any secrets about it?
    thanks.
    pablo

Junior SCH Member
    It was just recomended to me to get a new harmonic balancer... I started my car last night for the first time and had a noise. The balance looked like it was wobbling a bit so I think I'm going to swap that out for a Keith Craft balancer and see if that takes care of it. A friend of mine ran a stock balancer with a procharger and it let loose and caused some pretty good damage, so I'm just going to swap it out to be safe.

Senior SCH Member
    Definitley replace your front seal if you heated it up to get the pulley off. The front seal can be bought anywhere but that internal seal is a whole different story....you can't get that sucker nowhere but ATI....
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

I am buying a procharged P600B (2001 unit) 98 cobra and the current owner says it eats belts from time to time - I am thinking it has the smooth pulley. I am wondering if there is a setup to change to that will be less likely to eat belts? - which brand belts do you guys use? And where can I buy one of those better harm bal?? like keithcraft.com or ???? Thanks for the help..... stevet
    1998 S/C'ed cobra coupe - laser red and somewhere in the great state of Tejas.....442rwhp/410rwtq dyno tuned

Junior SCH Member
    My set up was eating the edges of my belt and it was due to the tensioner not having enough tension on it so it was walking side to side on the pulley. I fixed that by getting a different tensioner pulley with taller lips on the sides and I put more tension on it.
    As for the harmonic balancer, I went with a Romac. It's a pretty tough balancer for a pretty good price. I think I paid $180 for mine. Check on E-bay, that's where I found the shop that I got it from. If you can't find them let me know and I can check my recipts.

Junior SCH Member
    Oh... I have a '92 GT so I'm not sure if they make one for your car..