Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What temp are you running?

Thread: What temp are you running?

What temp are you running?

Well I got a new autometer guage, and Its reading like 210 in city driving. As soon as I get stopped at a stop light it goes up to like 220. the other day on shutdown, it went up to 230. Is this normal?I got a new cap, Im running a 180 thermo, but going to swap it out to a 170. Thanks :)

Senior SCH Member
    The 180 (assuming it's functioning properly) will cool the car better unless you are carbed. ;)

It may just be a bad t-stat or you could need a larger radiator or a good flush. Need more information to help you further. What's the ambient temp? Have you tested the thermostat? What kind of radiator and how old is it? What mixture do you run? 100% water? 50/50 mix?

What kind of fan and how old is the radiator. I run at 180 all the time. Yes it is normal for the temp to spike up after shut down.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Hey guys a little history on the car. I just put in a gt40 motor with a novi 2000 and brand new thermostat. Also I just got a 3 row radiator. The car only gets hot when I stop.
    The temp outside gets up to about 80 here, and Im running 30%antifreeze, 70 water, and a bottle of water wetter. I have the stock fan in there now, but I think I need to upgrade to electric. What do you all think. Thanks.

First off, you should run at least a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water to keep your water pump lubed and to keep electolysis at bay which will eat your aluminum parts. Antifreeze also has a much better heat exchange factor than water does. I run a 60/40 mix in my car of antifreeze/water. Do that first and if you haven't already, throw in a 180* thermostat. It's also quite possible that your clutch for your fan has begun to go bad or is shot already. The stock fans cool quite well actually but if the clutch is failing it needs to be replaced. I'm more inclined to think it's that and your coolant mix that are causing you trouble as a 3 core rad even though it's a copper/brass job will cool most 5.0's no problem. I still run one on my Bird with the new engine and I have no problems which shows how good the Ramcharger fan is because the front end design of my car doesn't exactly help cooling given the fact it has zero openings except on it's underside.

I forgot about distilled water. I was told that the more water you have the cooler it will run. I dunno anymore. So and so says this, and so and so says that. Ill change the water tomorrow, to see what it does.
    I just ran it around the city a little, and it only went up to a little over 200 at the lights, and 195 when crusing.

I run the FMS performance water pump, Granatelli rad, 160 thermo, and a RamChargers fan.

I run 90% water and 1 bottle of water wetter. You will run cooler with more water. The water wetter will lube the pump.

I run at 160 on the street while cruising. If you are running more than the thermo for a long period of time and the temp only rises it may be time to look at your cooling system.

Ian