Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Have any of you had to have your timing lower than 10 degrees?

Thread: Have any of you had to have your timing lower than 10 degrees?

SCH Member

Have any of you had to have your timing lower than 10 degrees?

Right now my timing is at 10 degrees, fuel at 42 with vacuum off, and I still am getting detonation. It only occurs when the car is up to temperature, but the weird thing is it is doing it without being hard on it at all. Just accelerating quickly. At most I am seeing 2 pounds of boost when it is doing it. Any suggestions as to what to do?

Brandon
    91 LX, Novi 2000, AOD->T5 Swap, 76mm MAM, 42Lb Injectors, Kirban AFPR, 255LPH HP Pump, 5-Lug Conversion, Real Cobra R's(C58), 1 5/8 BBK Ceramic Longtubes, H-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Tri-Ax

Here's a thought, do you still have the stock balancer? It could be possible that the outer ring has slipped a tad & you are not really at 10 degrees. Another scenario could be that your timing pointer could be off, once again not giving you an accurate timing reading.

You can check top dead center with a tool that threads into the spark plug hole for this purpose. The more accurate way is with another tool that sit's directly over the bore, however you have to have the head removed to use it.

Just some food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

5150 makes a good point. Don't trust the factory timing pointer as most tend to be off a degree or two. When my motor was done, the machine shop modified my pointer so it would point at "true" top dead centre when piston #1 was set there. My pointer was out 2 degrees. I have lots of friends with Stangs and one of the most popular mods of course is advancing the timing. Funny how some guys can run up to 15 degrees or a tad more while others can't run more than 12, yet all run good fuel . Why? Timing marks are off.

SCH Member
    I never thought about that. Thats probably the problem. I'll just back the timing down untill it goes away.

Thanks
    Brandon
    91 LX, Novi 2000, AOD->T5 Swap, 76mm MAM, 42Lb Injectors, Kirban AFPR, 255LPH HP Pump, 5-Lug Conversion, Real Cobra R's(C58), 1 5/8 BBK Ceramic Longtubes, H-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Tri-Ax

Cyulost, just make a mental note of this and the next time you have the heads off rent the tool from autozone (or the like) and double check your TDC, the procedure is pretty simple and doesn't take much time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th