Thread: Intercooler not cooling????

Junior SCH Member

Intercooler not cooling????

I have the P600B with the 3 core intercooler and my intake temps are somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30* cooler than the water temp according to my PMS. I even have the scoop on there, but the temps are still up around 140* to 150* while cruising. I'm pretty new to the SC thing, but I would have thought I'd be doing alot better than that with the intercooler. Anybody shed some light on this for me????

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    fwiw, with no intercooling here, my act and ect run about the same temp after the intake manifold gets heat soaked.
    Chris

Air to air intercoolers are less efficient than air to water intercoolers. A/A is only getting cool when the car is moving/ambient temps flowing thru it. If it's a 103 outside that's what is flowing thru your intercooler. A/W with let's say small fuel cell,electric waterpump moving ice water flowing thru it, 50 degrees or less, will be a big difference in air temps/and power, and will work even at idle, with the ability to run more timing. IMHO only A/W intercoolers are worth the time and money, and are meant for all out competition racing. A/A on the street aren't really that efficient unless it's 40 degrees outside. When i had my P1SC i had a 3lb boost loss, and my air temps were like your're describing. The faster you spin the blower the less efficient it becomes, and the A/A is unable to do it's job. Sorry for the long post. Hope this sheds a little light.
    Last edited by blueoval92; 09-28-2004 at 10:36 PM.