Thread: changing the alt

changing the alt

What is intailed in changing out the alt Im going to go with the 130 amp one. Anyone have the 130 amp alt? Ive been told I need to grind the alt a little, but since the alt is now at the bottom, do I still have too? Also I didnt install the blower, so how do I get the alt out? Thanks :)

Senior SCH Member
    The alternator is very simple to remove and install. You just disconnect the negative (black or -) battery cable and then disconnect the alternator charge wire or wires (depends on your model) from the rear side of the alternator. Then you unbolt the two bolts that hold the alternator to the bottom of the novi2000 bracketry (IIRC). Reverse the process for the new alternator. ;) A one wire alternator is easier to install than the 3 wire alternators. It all depends on which alternator you get. PA Performance has some good deals. I went with the PowerMaster 160A direct-replacement one wire alternator, took me 10 minutes to install.

Originally posted by mustangmark
    The alternator is very simple to remove and install. You just disconnect the negative (black or -) battery cable and then disconnect the alternator charge wire or wires (depends on your model) from the rear side of the alternator. Then you unbolt the two bolts that hold the alternator to the bottom of the novi2000 bracketry (IIRC). Reverse the process for the new alternator. ;) A one wire alternator is easier to install than the 3 wire alternators. It all depends on which alternator you get. PA Performance has some good deals. I went with the PowerMaster 160A direct-replacement one wire alternator, took me 10 minutes to install.
    Thanks, I have been putting off tackling it, cause I thought it would be more difficult. I plan on getting the 94/95 GT alt :cheers: