Thread: Please help me pick an intake for my setup...

Please help me pick an intake for my setup...

Hey guys. I will give you the basic combo that I am dealing with then explain my situation. I have a P1SC non-intercooled blower kit pushing ~12psi (should be around 12psi with the pulley sizes and my combo), Pro-M Univer 3.5" meter, 70mm t-body, GT-40 upper and lower, #42 injectors, GT-40X heads (64cc), B303 cam, long tubes, 2.5" exhaust dumped after 2 chamber flows. As far as the top half of the engine, that is what I have as of now.

My upper has warped where it mates with the lower and no matter what I try, it will not seal and leaks across 2-3 cylinders. I have tried taking it to machine shops and they will not touch it to fix it.

In N/A form, my car layed down 305rwhp and 365rwtq at the tires. Obviously it's torquey which I like. Now that it is blown, I am not sure if I should run right out and buy another GT-40 upper or not. It did make it to the dyno and I had a partial pull on it before the a/f went haywire (VERY long story... read my other posts), but it put down 315rwhp and 425rwtq at 3500rpm at which point it had to be shut down... so I am looking at some promissing numbers, but what should I do?

My initial reaction was to just get another GT-40 upper because the lower is fine, but then for the price, I could just do it right and get the Systemax upper and lower and just call it a day... I know that it's a bit much for my heads, but it opens the door for later down the road. Then I got to thinking, well maybe I should just get one of those boxed uppers, like the downs or hogan.

What do you guys think? I need to make a quick move, so any and all feedback is greatly appreciated here. Thanx guys!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    be careful my buddy put that intake on his cobra, and lost tq, it was nitrous car. and I lost power when put my trickflow intake, because the ports dont match. but if you want high end horsepower go with the holley or trick flow.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

That's the thing, I like my torque and don't want to lose a great deal of it, but I have seen those boxed uppers on cars that I wouldn't expect and they seem to make damn good power. I just am not going to be spinning my motor past 6400 if even that much (depending on the boost level at that RPM) so I don't know if I would even benefit from it.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Well, a user on the corral posted back to the same question that I posted here and told me to go look at AFM's website under the dyno test articles... they did a very comprehensive test between a bunch of different popular intakes on a blown 5.0. The results were interesting, but definitely convincing. The boxed uppers didn't do any better than they do on n/a setups running in the stock range of rpm. So unless I was spinning it to 7000+, I would be down on power across the band. The long tube intakes (and especially the GT-40) really shined well. I guess the runner length effect is just as important if not more with a blown application. Thanx again for your help guys, but I think I am going to just go ahead and keep trying to find a machine shop that will deck the baseplate of the upper for me.

Does anyone know of a machine shop in the Metro Detroit area that would possibly do this? I need to get this car working. Thanx guys!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    I am contemplating the same thing Don, many people will say the GT40 is a weak intake for a blown app. but then there are just as many out there saying that it makes good power. I have wanted the Holley for awhile now but if my GT40 will make my goal of 475rwhp then I'll keep it, hell why spend another $600 on an intake and not make much more power? There has got to be a machinist there that will mill that upper for you. Its not that complicated to do at all. If anything, maybe get ahold of some glass or slate(extremely flat surface) and lay down some 800grip sand paper and just do it yourself, its a slow process but if done correctly it does work.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

I did finally get it machined last week, I just forgot to post about it. I have some pictures of it but not here. The shop did a great job on it. The guy was very nice, showed me the blocks they had to make in order to set it up right in the machine (he said the setup on it was very tricky). They plugged the EGR hole for me, cleaned it up, cleaned it out, did an outstanding job. They even felt bad for how much they had to charg me because of all of the setup time on it, so they knocked off some money for me. It ended up being $130 when it was all said and done because of the setup time, but it actually should have been more... he said that he only charged me for the setup time and not the time to clean, machine, or plug the EGR passage in the intake. Anyway, it's dead on, he said that it was WAY off... 55 thousandths and that the gouge in the one runner that was really off was more than likely from someone at one time in a shop buzzing the gasket off and hitting it too hard in that spot. I am glad I got it done now, 130 is way better than 600 if you ask me. I expected it to be more anyway.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST