Thread: pulley alignment problem on 91GT

Junior SCH Member

pulley alignment problem on 91GT

Hey There Novi power Users! I've got a Novi 2000 on my 347 stroker. I'm having a big time problem trying to get the Tensioner pullie and the idler pullie to line up with the crank pullie and the head unit pullie. The one on the crank and head unit are perfect but the other two are approimately a quarter inch off. The belt is riding on the edge of the pullie {towards the radiator} right at the lip of the pullie. The belt is starting to fray already. It look's like I can shim the idler pullie but don't know what to do with the tensioner one. Any one gone through this and have some solultions or ideas?

Thanks, bigwhupper.

And oh yea, those Novi's are the best. 604 rear wheel HP/497 torque @ 6500 RPM. Dyno tuned by fordchip on May 10, 2003.

Great numbers, what pullies are you using? You should be able to shim the idler and tensioner with spacers.

Junior SCH Member
    Hustler, I'm using the stock pullie's. The head unit still has the tamper proof cap on the end of the pullie. I'm having a hard time seeing how the tensioner can be shimed because of the way it's bolted to the super charger bracket. Maybe I've missed something and I'll take it off and examine it a little better.

Thanks for the help and the thumb's up on the numbers. I was rather surprized myself. Had no idea it would be that stout with stock pullies. Making about ten lb's of boost but the head's are ported.

Damn sweet numbers!! I'd give ya some advice but I just have a lowly little Novi 1000 and the belt stuff is totally different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

I'm not sure what the idler pully looks like unfortunately I have one of the older single tensioner brackets. Can you provide pictures at all?

I have no idea what your engine looks like exactly, but on my 89 5.0, I had to grind the mounting plate that attaches to the air compressor. The bracket holding the belt tensioner rested against it (which angled the tensioner forward ~1/8 inch) and made my belt ride off the pulley.

I would look for something similar. Make sure none of your brackets rest against each other.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the help Hustler, and rbridges. I've taken a few pictures but they didn't come out good enough to show the problem in detail. I'll try again during a better part of the day.
    It's been so friggin hot here I haven't had the ambition to tear into taking the whole thing off. Maybe this weekend it will cool off enough to give it a try.

I can't believe Paxton machined some of the parts so that you have to grind on them to get them to fit right. Oh well, I guess it's all worth it in the end.