Thread: Filtered Breather worth it?

Filtered Breather worth it?

Hey guys, I was wondering how many of you are using a filtered breather on your cars. I know some people have had issues with crankcase pressure and pcv blowing out...I plan on running a 7.5' crank pulley which should put me around 12-13 psi. Would it be wise to get a filtered breather? If so, do I still need the hose that goes from the air filter cover to the oil fill neck? Thanks for the help!
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

I use a Ford Racing breather on my car, and I only see about 10lbs. A breather is a good idea for any boosted car. I would not run the hose that attaches to the fill neck. That is taking all your crank pressure and forcing it back into your engine.

Ian

I use to have a breather on my car, but I kept getting a check engine light while decelerating(unmetered air). I ran a hose from the the valve cover to the blowoff valve return hose. I used a PCV from a Honda for a one way check valve so I wouldn't get boosted air into the crankcase. After I did this, I never got another check engine light.
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Originally posted by dugscpe
    I use to have a breather on my car, but I kept getting a check engine light while decelerating(unmetered air). I ran a hose from the the valve cover to the blowoff valve return hose. I used a PCV from a Honda for a one way check valve so I wouldn't get boosted air into the crankcase. After I did this, I never got another check engine light.
    Some people have trouble with the filler breathers as you did, other people do not, YMMV. Depends on the condition of your shortblock, & how good the ring seat is. IMO your solution is the preferred method of ventilation.

Another source for the one-way check valve is the '86 SVO Mustang, so now you all won't have to sneek into the Honda store & buy ricer parts for your Detroit muscle ;)