Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novi 2000 got loud

Junior SCH Member

Novi 2000 got loud

Is this normal, It sounds more like the S trim, after around 500 miles. Thanks

Do you have a filter on your oil feed line? If you dont, pull the feed line off of the blower and check the screen for any garbage on it. Usually when they get load, it means you hurt it.:(
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by dugscpe
    Do you have a filter on your oil feed line? If you dont, pull the feed line off of the blower and check the screen for any garbage on it. Usually when they get load, it means you hurt it.:(
    Doug
    No, I dont have a filter on the feed line. I dont think it said I needed one.

SCH Member
    mines loud too, not as loud as a S trim though. I noticed a difference after 500 miles too. How would you put a filter on that line?

I do not use a NOVI2K but my NOVI1K is also getting louder.

I will drop Kelly @ Paxton an e-mail and see what he thinks...

Ian

Clue me in here, my novi 2k doesn't even have a mile on it yet, and I would like to avoid the problem if I can.

Brandon

Brandon...

Doug is suggesting that you add an inline filter so that nothing can get into the blower.

I am not 100% convinced that because a blower gets louder it is garbage...

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    OK here is what happened. I called Paxton, and they said the filter was in the fitting, and said dont worry, unless it sounds like metal to metal, and he has heard of a few getting loud after a while:( I noticed the tip (that fits inside the head unit) is very small, IE nothing large could get in there. I was worried then about the oil not circulating, so what did I do? Dont try this at home, I undid the feed line, and started the car. Im still cleaning up oil LOL. I took the fitting to the gas station, and blew it out(to make sure it wasnt clogged), and the Reinstalled it. Ill let you all know if I blow it up.
    Also, off the topic, I joined under Black88GT, and for some reason, I couldnt post. Can someone correct this? Thanks -Dave

Ian, so you can actually add another filter? Where would I get one of these, and where in the line would I plumb it?

Dave, the orfice in the fitting is small, to cause a mist of oil on the gears in the blower. I sure can't figure out where the filter would be in this fitting though. Also I did the same thing I turned the car on to make sure it was getting oil. That is a **** load of oil coming out huh? LOL. I squirt mine back into my valve cover though.

Brandon

Dave: I have activated Black88GT. Please decide on one ;)

Brandon, you can actually get kits that put a nice filter in the blower feed line. I have not seen them myself, but I have heard others talk about them...

Ian

Brandon,
    I got mine from Vortech. I used carb cleaner to clean the Vortech logo off it.
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member
    when you say the blower is getting louder, is making more of a higher pitch noise, or is it a grinding noise? Is it louder at a idle, or does it get progressively louder with R.P.M? Vortech sells a inline filter for there blowers, I don't know if it is offered anmymore. The new novi's will have a screen in the oil jet where it connects to the feed line, pull the feed line off, and make sure that is clear...you may want to pull the oil jet out and spray some brake cleaner through from the orifice side! Now if its a Novi 2k, on a 86-93 take the belt off, and with the car off spin the blower and see what it feels like, then you want to go back and fourth and make sure the bolt didn't back out, and then finally start the car with the belt off to determine if itsn't another componet on the car, ie; water pump, smog pump, ac-compressor, powersterring pump, or the alternator...let me know what you find!

SCH Member
    i think its normal for them to get a little louder after break in mine did also. not as loud as a s-trim or a p600b but louder.
    93 cobra#256 witha noisy alternator

Originally posted by 88cobra
    Dave: I have activated Black88GT. Please decide on one ;)
    Ian
    Originally posted by Blown_Aod
    when you say the blower is getting louder, is making more of a higher pitch noise, or is it a grinding noise? Is it louder at a idle, or does it get progressively louder with R.P.M? Vortech sells a inline filter for there blowers, I don't know if it is offered anmymore. The new novi's will have a screen in the oil jet where it connects to the feed line, pull the feed line off, and make sure that is clear...you may want to pull the oil jet out and spray some brake cleaner through from the orifice side! Now if its a Novi 2k, on a 86-93 take the belt off, and with the car off spin the blower and see what it feels like, then you want to go back and fourth and make sure the bolt didn't back out, and then finally start the car with the belt off to determine if itsn't another componet on the car, ie; water pump, smog pump, ac-compressor, powersterring pump, or the alternator...let me know what you find!
    thanks I noticed today it got quieter. I dont know why? Its louder at low rmps. I spun the blower with my hand, and It sounded fine to me, I didnt hear any bearings or anything. I also took off the outlet tube, and saw small traces of oil in there, should I be worried? Thanks for the help
    -Dave