Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
ignition relay, or fuel pump problem????

Thread: ignition relay, or fuel pump problem????

ignition relay, or fuel pump problem????

OK, I have a slight problem and I don't know where to look.

SOMETIMES:
    When I start my car my fuel pump runs and doesn't stop running, so than I turn my key off and turn it back on it runs and shuts off like it is supposed to do.

I can't run my car when this happens. It breaks up and wants to stall on me. There is a service engine soon light when this happens but I don't know what code it is, but all I have to do is turn it off and listen for the fuel pump to stop and it is fine

Where do I look to fix this problem is there some sort of relay under the hood or somthing I need to change? Cause I doubt it is the fuel pump cause thee is a msg sending to the fuel pump to tell it to work, and the msg I guess is not telling it to turn off.

Anything please????
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

Not sure if the relay is the problem but the fuel pump relay will be located in one of two spots (can't recall the year they changed location). It will either be under the drivers seat or it will be on the inner fender near the location of a stock MAF. If yours is near the MAF there will be two relays there, one is fuel pump & other is a/c related if I recall correctly, try just swapping the two relays & see if that helps.

Your best bet would be pulling the codes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Hmm well it is dark right now and my car is still hot, but I didn't see anything under either seats, and I looked over by where the stock MAF would be. I noticed 1 relay under my Powerpipe. just 1 not 2. So what I am going to do is go down to the junkyard tomarrow and check some mustangs out there and look. Mine should have 2 like you said it had A/C, but I really think there was only 1 right there... Do they look the same?
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...

I just looked at mine and the two look very similiar. Being that you only have one, I would presume that your fuel pump relay is located under the driver's seat. You may have to check under the carpet to locate it though.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

Thanks, It was under the driver seat... The first time I looked I didn't see it cause it had a metal plate around it, than I moved the seat all the way forward, and I looked through the back and there it was right behind that metal plate... Everything works good now.. still needs a tune though... comming next week sometime
    Mark
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...

Sweet, I can now confirm that 92 models are beneath the seat and 92's are not. Glad it was a simple fix.

Sean, my 92 is under the hood. I have a similar problem with the pump never turning on. I've done everthing, replaced the relay, pcm, you name it. Can't get the damn feul pumps to run for nothing.

Just as soon as I have some money I'll be taking this heap to someone to fix it.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Does the relay get power? Have you checked all your fuses? If I recall correctly, you had this problem surface when you removed the PMS from it. I would retrace you work from there, maybe disconnected a ground to the computer. What about the relay that's located close to the EEC, I personally don't know what it's for but there is one (relay) there on my 92.

$20 bucks says it's something simple & stupid, those are the one's that are always a PITA to find.