Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
13psi on stock 5.0,how much more?

Thread: 13psi on stock 5.0,how much more?

Junior SCH Member

13psi on stock 5.0,how much more?

I'm at 13psi on my daily driver. I was just wondering. I have not had any problems yet.(with motor) my tranny is acting up a little.Time for my t5 I guess.I'm at 91,000 miles.No smoke, no ping
    89 red aod lx ,stock 5.0, novi 1000@10PSI,ATI procharger blow off,msd6a w/btm, bassani x , 255 intank,373's,c&l 76mm,frp24lb inj.,Kirban press reg. autometer guages ,F-150pulley, t-5conversion,snow performance water methonal inj.,Apex super AFC fuel control unit ,mac eq. headers, asp2.75 blower pulley. NEW BEST TIME 12.9@110 ,2.0 60FT

Well I think that is just about it...not only are you getting close to the max of the blower, you are also getting close to needing more parts such as a fuel system.

Keep it @ 13 and enjoy it ;)

Ian

Do you think my fuel system is able to handle 12-13 psi Ian? All I have are 36# injectors and a 255 in-tank. When I bought these things I was only planning on running the F150 crank pulley....Since then I've decided to go with a 7.5' ASP crank pulley. I don't run the FMU either.

Sorry if I'm stealing the thread...but I plan on running 13 psi also and was curious if my baby can take it...

Originally posted by Whistler
    Do you think my fuel system is able to handle 12-13 psi Ian? All I have are 36# injectors and a 255 in-tank. When I bought these things I was only planning on running the F150 crank pulley....Since then I've decided to go with a 7.5' ASP crank pulley. I don't run the FMU either.

Sorry if I'm stealing the thread...but I plan on running 13 psi also and was curious if my baby can take it...
    I think the 36's will be enough to handle your horsepower. It worked on mine without an FMU. Mine would make 13 pounds at 6200rpm, but I usually only shifted at 6,000. I would advise you to pull a bunch of timing out up top if you're using pump gas. If you mix race gas in, then I wouldn't worry too much.
    Doug

PS
    Just don't add an 80 shot of NOS on top of it :D
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Originally posted by dugscpe
    PS
    Just don't add an 80 shot of NOS on top of it :D
    No, I think 13 psi will keep me more than happy. :D Well, A BTM is next on my "to buy" list...I'm gonna need something to pull timing out up top. I'd rather run more base timing and have the BTM pull it out.

Jees, just when my wallet is recovering, along comes something else. Hopefully, the BTM will be one of the last things I need to buy.
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Originally posted by Whistler
    Do you think my fuel system is able to handle 12-13 psi Ian? All I have are 36# injectors and a 255 in-tank.
    If you are running a Fox Mustang it might be wise to upgrade to the SN95 fuel rail setup. The Fox fuel rails have a major orifice restriction in the distribution block which can cause #7 & #8 to go lean when running anything above a 24# injector. The higher the pressure you run, the worse the problem will be.

Also might want to consider running a water injection system, as your intake air temp is probably running well above 200 degrees at this boost level from the 1000. You will reach a point of diminishing power returns, as the eec will pull an additional 6 degrees of timing and fatten it up a bunch running that kind of high ACT numbers. With (50/50 water/methanol) injection you could damn near run a stock timing curve at that boost level. The Snow Performance H2O kit has gotten good reviews on the eec-tuner list.
    http://www.snowperformance.net/
    Only disclaimer for the H2O injection deal is if the tank runs out or the jet even partially clogs, things can get ugly in a hurry.

Whistler: I would get a nice set of rails. The Aeromotive rail kit would be good for you as it attaches to your stock lines.

Ian

Well, I think the ASP crank pulley will have to sit in the garage this year while my wallet recovers a little bit. I think I might just run the F150 pullet this year...that way, I can buy the BTM, fuel rails, etc. over the next 10 months and won't take such a huge hit.

Oh yea, I still have the stock suspension....that's gonna have to be replaced in the next year as well. Does it ever end???
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Junior SCH Member
    can the motor handle much more boost?
    89 red aod lx ,stock 5.0, novi 1000@10PSI,ATI procharger blow off,msd6a w/btm, bassani x , 255 intank,373's,c&l 76mm,frp24lb inj.,Kirban press reg. autometer guages ,F-150pulley, t-5conversion,snow performance water methonal inj.,Apex super AFC fuel control unit ,mac eq. headers, asp2.75 blower pulley. NEW BEST TIME 12.9@110 ,2.0 60FT

1fstlx, I think your just about to max your Novi out, any more boost and you will be reducing the effency percentage of the compressor, but I have seen stock 5.0's pushing 15 PSI on the stock engine if its tuned right It'll take it. Also you have good trap speeds with some traction and better 60' you should be pulling mid 12's all day long. I love to see the old 5.0's with stock engines running 12's I love the look on the Viper owners faces when there $80K super car gets ran by a $6K 10 year old bolt on pony, Truley Pricless

With enough fuel and a good boost retard control, and high quility head gaskets a stock 5.0 with 15 psi would safley put out 390-400+ HP at the crank, not bad for a 250HP factory engine.

I have an article in an old Super Ford Magazine where Anderson Ford Motorsport squeezed a hair over 400 rwhp out of a stone stock 1990 5.0 LX with a Vortech S-Trim pushing 13lbs of boost. All it had were headers, an H-Pipe, and a set of 30lb injectors. Motor was untouched.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for all the help again guys.I'll post my new times with my drag radials and t-5.It should be easy 12's.My buddy at work ran a 12.80@110 with a 9lb. procharger ,t-5 , headers, 373's, and stock 5.0 .

Mike @ Dallas Mustang
    We built a car for a customer that made 530rwhp. It was a 93 Cobra, factory shortblock, Unported Performer RPM heads, Unported Performer RPM intake, Lunati 51014 cam, 50lb injectors, 70mm t-body, 77mm maf, 255 intank, t-rex inline and a Novi 2000 that made 12 psi with our Boostmaster, and A DMP tune. He later uped the boost to 15psi and ran it for about 2 months untill the missed a gear and split the block. Boost is not the main issue, power and the tune is what you should be most concerned with.

Mike