Thread: Pre Purchase Questions

SCH Member

Pre Purchase Questions

I have been bouncing back and forth between the Novi 1000, Allen, and the Kenne Bell Twin Screw (available FEB) and just keep coming back to the NOVI. I do have a few questions for those that have experiance. Any replies would be greatly appreaciated:
    Info on car as it is now: 2000 Mustang GT Auto Trans
    Bassani O/R X pipe, Borla Cat Back, 2800 P.I. stall converter, 4.10 rear gears, JMS Autologic chip. Dyno= 243rwhp/288rwtq 1/4mile=13.20@103 with a 1.81 sixty foot.

1. Would it be a wise move to upgrade to 42# injectors?
    2. Is it "safe" to run 8# on a stock 4.6 or should I go lower?
    3. What kind of increase in hp/tq to expect.
    4. Customer service good after the sale (warranty issues etc).

Since I already have a JMS chip I should be able to sae $ and will only have to pay for reburn.

Can you suggest any other parts I will need?
    Don't forget I am looking for dependability as this is a daily driver so don't want to push the envelope.

Thanks for any info.

Very good questions:

1 - More fuel is always a good idea, 42's would give you room to grow and would support the HP.
    2 - 8lbs on a stock mod will be ok.
    3 - If you were to run 8lbs, you would gain 90-100lbs.
    4 - You are on the customer service site ;) Paxton is good, but for a quick reply, simply ask here.

For your JMS chip all it will need is a reburn.

You will need a fuel pump, injectors, and a safe tune.

Ian

Mike @ Dallas Mustang
    SilverPony2000, Depending on where you are located at, there are many Autologic dealers that can reburn your chip. BUT, CJ(JMS) is one of(if not the) best out there. The Novi1000 with 8psi would be a good choice, and accompanied with 42 lb injectors (or even the 38's that come with the kit) and the fuel pump that comes with it. Make sure you do the fuel canister modification properly or it can cause problems with hard acceleration. DO NOT drill any holes in the sides of the canister. If you need any help, you can call me @800-MUSTANG. Ask for Mike Wilson.

Mike

Junior SCH Member
    ive got a novi 1000 on my 2002 and i like it so far, my bone stock (besides blower) put down 285 hp and 310 ft lbs. how much difference did your PI converter make? also, how do you like your 4.10 gears? too much gear, or just right?
    2002 AODE GT W/ NOVI 1000

Originally posted by sc2002
    also, how do you like your 4.10 gears? too much gear, or just right?
    I hear the best is the 410s. 373s just dont have it.

SCH Member
    I LOVE the gears! Those and the converter were the best money I ever spent on the car.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar

Re: Pre Purchase Questions

Originally posted by Silverpony2000

Info on car as it is now: 2000 Mustang GT Auto Trans
    Bassani O/R X pipe, Borla Cat Back, 2800 P.I. stall converter, 4.10 rear gears, JMS Autologic chip. Dyno= 243rwhp/288rwtq 1/4mile=13.20@103 with a 1.81 sixty foot.

There's no denying that a KB is mucho fun on the street on a stock Mustang, but OTOH the gears and converter you've selected will work much better with the Novi blower. 4.10s and positive displacement blowers equal major traction problems on street tires!

1. Would it be a wise move to upgrade to 42# injectors?
    2. Is it "safe" to run 8# on a stock 4.6 or should I go lower?
    1. As Mike mentioned the kit includes 38s so I would save your money on bigger injectors, at least until you get the itch to further overdrive the blower.
    2. Safe is a relative term. For the short term I wouldn't worry, 8 psi is far from being a ticking timebomb. However "Safe" depends on how conservative your tune is. For the long term it is a different story. I wouldn't expect the car to hold up quite as well as a bone stock setup-- the fact is that adding 100 horsepower is a good bit harder on every single driveline part, from engine components out to the axles & brakes. Adding this amount of power at the least accelerates wear, and at worst exposes any weak links, sometimes with spectacular results.

There have been a few comments on other forums from several owners about the Roush 360hp sohc blower motors not holding up too well, and these are setup similarly to your setup. Best advice I can give is just make sure you run the best fuel possible at all times, and don't be constantly driving it like you hate it. :bonk: