Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performance ?

SCH Member

Performance ?

I have always been a big nitrous guy, but I want to try forced induction. I'm about to drop an obscene amount of money into a 600-650rwhp street car this summer, but I wanted to try something before I blew all that money. My test car (not the one I'm building) is a 91 LX hatch AOD. It currently runs 13.81 @ 99mph N/A with 10* timing for the nitrous. It ran a 12.36 @ 98mph 1.63 60' on a 150 shot on the brakes after hitting the rev limiter in 3rd. Since then I've changed the 4.10s to 3.73s and tossed the stock cam for a Bennett custom.

Now what I'm wanting to do is add a Novi 1k and take off the nitrous. Now I don't think the 1k will get me as much power as the wet kit and I'm okay with that. I'm wondering if anyone thinks my car would be capable of 11s with the 1k. I'll probably buy new MAF, injectors, and fuel pump too. But here's my combo:

Stock 143k shortblock (don't worry, it's in great shape)
    E7 Thumper heads (is anyone familiar with these)
    1.7RR
    Bennett custom (I'll replace with a blower custom)
    ProM 75mm MAF (I'll probably replace with a ProM 80)
    70mm TB
    Performer RPM
    24lb injectors (I'll probably replace with 42s)
    BBK shorty headers
    O/R H-pipe
    Dynomax Ultra-Flows
    3.73s
    Lakewood 70/30 front
    Lakewood 50/50 rear
    MSD 6AL (I'll replace with a 6BTM)
    Art Carr Extreme AOD w/ 3k stall

I'd probably pulley it to ~10lbs. What kind of power could I expect. If I can't get ~350, I don't want it. I figure that's what I'd need to go 11.7-11-9. Anyone other suggestions?
    1991 LX hatch AOD - Dart block, 3.25" crank, H-beams, Ross pistons, Novi 2k, TW heads, Performer RPM, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF, Bennett cam, 60lb inj., AFM Powerpipe, Kooks LTs, Snow Performance methanol/water injection, enough fuel for the Space Shuttle Discovery

Old Combo - 148k mile stock bottom end, P&P E7s, AOD, NX wet kit
    428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

Whoever said money can't buy happiness never had a wife with breast implants. ;)

John, I don't see 350rwhp being a problem at all.

you may want to list your cam specs too.
    90 strawberry coupe

If you have no long term plans for the car run both power adders and grin like hell while it lasts :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Originally posted by 5150 LX
    If you have no long term plans for the car run both power adders and grin like hell while it lasts :D
    Hey was that a shot at me??? My old 472rwhp combo was a perfect combo, until my "little" nitrous experiment:p

Doug

BTW
    Welcome to the board FullAuto. Its always nice to have a Newb! to pick on:D
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Originally posted by Doug
    Hey was that a shot at me??? My old 472rwhp combo was a perfect combo, until my "little" nitrous experiment:p

Doug

BTW
    Welcome to the board FullAuto. Its always nice to have a Newb! to pick on:D
    Actually Doug, I had almost forgot about that whole incident, thanks for refreshing my memory :D

FullAuto, 350 should not be an issue with the combo listed nor 11's. My POS would run 11.8's pretty consistently with 7#'s and completely stock 120k+ shortblock.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

Full auto, welcome. You may be pleasently suprised with the little 1k blower. With stock pullies i ran an 11.77@117mph with a 1.81 60ft. see my photo post for my dyno graph with 7psi.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member
    Okay then. What else would I need to for a complete SAFE install? I really don't know what it even comes with. I will be buying 42lb inj, ProM 80mm MAF, and MSD 6BTM. I've also considered a T-Rex pump. Will that be needed, highly recommended, or overkill?

I'd like to make it clear I plan on doing the 8" crank pulley I've seen you guys talk about too. What kind of boost will this get me? What kind of hp/lb of boost do you guys get?

My cam specs are .545/.545, 218/224 @ .050, 112 lobe sep. This is a Bennet custom nitrous grind. Will it be good for a blower or should I get a blower specific cam? Do I need a 114 lobe sep? I was also going to ask if anyone knew the AFM B series specs to compare. I was considering them.
    1991 LX hatch AOD - Dart block, 3.25" crank, H-beams, Ross pistons, Novi 2k, TW heads, Performer RPM, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF, Bennett cam, 60lb inj., AFM Powerpipe, Kooks LTs, Snow Performance methanol/water injection, enough fuel for the Space Shuttle Discovery

428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

Whoever said money can't buy happiness never had a wife with breast implants. ;)

SCH Member
    Originally posted by 5150 LX
    My POS would run 11.8's pretty consistently with 7#'s and completely stock 120k+ shortblock.
    But what kind of heads were you running at that time? I'm on ported E7s with stock valves. I want to do what you did with what I have. Did you have stock pulleys? How much will that bigger crank pulley help me?

428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

I was running box stock TFS heads and track heat intake. I have the old single belt Novi so I'm running the F-150 crank pulley. From what I've seen, the 8" pulley and powerpipe is usually good for about 10-11#'s on the new Novi with separate drive belt.

I honestly think that the Thumper heads will do you just fine.

SCH Member
    Old single belt novi? As opposed to...... What the heck would I be ordering?

428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

SCH Member
    you'll be getting the updated version that I just got in the mail. it has a seperate blower belt instead of running on your accessory serpentine belt. it also comes with a polished aluminum front bracket for the blower, polished radiator relocation tube, aluminum discharge tube. I just got off the N2o and am installing the novi 1k this week. we'll see how it works. thumper actually lives here and i've heard the heads are pretty good, about 30rwhp on stock motors.
    s/c 331

honestly if you can pull 1.6 60fts' as in your sig your car will exceed your goals with 6-7 lbs of boost.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

SCH Member
    Originally posted by regattacoupe
    honestly if you can pull 1.6 60fts' as in your sig your car will exceed your goals with 6-7 lbs of boost.
    I pulled pretty consistent 1.6s with a best of 1.63 leaving on a 150 shot. That hits pretty hard. I'm honestly expecting to go slower with the blower. I'm okay with that though. I just wanted to try one out.

Anyone want to comment on my current cam? Should I change to an AFM B-series cam?

428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

john, I'm asking about your cam tonight. I'll let ya know.
    90 strawberry coupe

sounds to me like thats a great cam but i think brandon is getting an expert opinion. If you do the 8" pulley i don't think you'll slow down. I gained 16-18 mph in the quarter over N/A. Fwiw