Thread: power pipe = no additional boost

Senior SCH Member

power pipe = no additional boost

Hey guys, finally got my car running right, I was seeing 5psi with full exhaust and nothing else, no I have added 80mm mass air, injectors, fuel pump ignition and a morpheus power pipe but I did not gain any boost, I think I gained power though, what boost increases are you guys with the power pipes seeing?

I may be waaaay wrong, but boost doesn't necessarily mean power. I know with larger intake/heads, you'll actually see a decrease in boost but an increase in power.

I have no idea if this is true with power pipes.

Powerpipes will typically increase boost 1-2 psi. Chem, what did ya rev it to (RPM's wise)? What kind of weather did you have today, could be a factor unless you did w/o pipe & w/ pipe comparison's on the same day/weather conditions (Hot weather will decrease boost)

Double check all your clamps & re-check belt tightness just for good measure, let us know if any change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

oops, also noticed that you changed injectors. Double check the vac lines & check for a vac. leak on the upper to lower intake and on the t-body if you removed it from the upper intake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    i went from 8 to 10 pounds of boost after my install and man did it make a difference. it was a cool night when i got 10

Senior SCH Member
    Yeah, I tested mine in the late afternoon, very warm, not sure.
    90gt 5speed, chp stroker 331 with forged internals including crank, afr 165's, custom grind cam, trickflow street heat intake, 1.7 rockers, 80mm pro M with morpheus power pipe and bosch bypass valve, full off road exhaust, revised novi 1K with 8"asp pulley, 255 in tank, 30lbers, accufab afr, msd6al with coil, 355's on stock suspension and street tires.

Dynojet#'s= 505rwhp, 469rwtq@7psi boost.

91 coupe 5speed:
    fully ported stock heads, cobra upper and lower intake, 65mm TB, 75mm mass air, full exhaust, compucar adjustable kit, 155lph pump, king cobra clutch, msd coil and stock 308's and street tires.

13.9@102mph

I see fluctuations in boost depending on the time of day. Here in fla. the humidity & heat really have an effect on boost. I actually see a 2 psi difference between 6:30am when I'm driving to work & 12:30pm when I take my lunch break. Though in all I only got a 1 psi increase in boost from the powerpipe, boost did come in a few hundred rpm sooner. This was the biggest performance difference for me. Really keeps the r's up between shifts! So there's a much better pull when back in the throttle even after a granny shift.......well worth the $1 IMO.......(just to note: I saw an even lower rpm boost start by adding a larger filter in my fenderwell. I had the large style lying around from my Mac CAI kit so I threw it on. Nice midrange increase over the filter that came with the 1k kit!)
    -justin

yes i heard too with a bigger filter you can get another # of boost out of your blower, im going to probably do this sometime after i get everything back together on my car
    2003 Cobra
    Mods to come:
    -Magnaflow catback
    -Magnaflow X pipe
    -KnN 12" cone
    -Gords Heat exchanger
    -2.80 pulley w/tune

lates win - srt4 modded
    no losses

I really didn't feel any power for the bigger filter, but i gained at least 1psi regardless of the weather......but with better weather and the big filter i put on i went from 112mph on a humid july day to 117 mph at 1:30 am @ Norwalk on a cool night. But i can't blame 5mph on an air filter! I did take some fuel pressure out though.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

whoops......1 psi with the powerpipe...not the filter.....bartender I'll have another...."Hiccup"
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

maybe its all in the set up, my intake is smaller than urs and would be getting backed up so maybe thats why you get 1# instead of 2? more boost isnt always better. idk but thats mho about it and what i think

i didnt gain any boost with the filter as i mentioned above, but the boost did start in a little more than 100rpms sooner........who knows, mabey it wasnt as humid the saturday morning i installed it!.........who know...id like to hear more peoples results with the bigger filter. the one that came with the 1k kit seemed oddly small for how much air is now being ingested. oh well, i felt a gain & im sticking to it *burp*....=)
    -justin

SCH Member
    boost is just a measure of back pressure, the cfm the blower is turning out is where you are getting the power. if you open up the heads,intake,exhaust...etc you will have less back pressure but increase power. doesn't sound like you did too much though, i'd be checking everything you touched to be sure its connected and tight.
    s/c 331

chemical5l, I didn't see any gain with my powerpipe either, so don't feel bad. Mine is due to elevation. Just out of curiosity, do you know roughly what your elevation is? Just a thought.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

SCH Member
    i'm at about 20' elevation so I just ordered a novi1000, N2o works good but i'd stick with it at high elevation. looks like your running pretty good though. I ran 13.22 @ 106.1 missed 4thgear though. got to make some adjustments to the tko setup. btw, where did you get the power pipe. ive morpheus is the way to go but I don't know who's selling them.
    s/c 331