Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally put the 8" pulley on......

Senior SCH Member

finally put the 8" pulley on......

Hey guys, I finally put the 8" pulley on my revised novi1K and to be honest with you guys, I was very disappointed. I saw a peak boost of maybe 8psi at like 6000 rpms, and thats with the morpheus power pipe, what gives? For the guys that dont know yet, I used a 59"belt and used the bottom hole of the tensioner, and my car has a/c so I used a 88" accessory belt a 89 would work too, the new pulley has a underdriven pulley for the accessory crank. Now how do I get more boost and how fast is my blower spinning now?
    90gt 5speed, chp stroker 331 with forged internals including crank, afr 165's, custom grind cam, trickflow street heat intake, 1.7 rockers, 80mm pro M with morpheus power pipe and bosch bypass valve, full off road exhaust, revised novi 1K with 8"asp pulley, 255 in tank, 30lbers, accufab afr, msd6al with coil, 355's on stock suspension and street tires.

Dynojet#'s= 505rwhp, 469rwtq@7psi boost.

91 coupe 5speed:
    fully ported stock heads, cobra upper and lower intake, 65mm TB, 75mm mass air, full exhaust, compucar adjustable kit, 155lph pump, king cobra clutch, msd coil and stock 308's and street tires.

13.9@102mph

well the blower should be spinning a little over 47k. Which is a far cry from the 55k ian reported to be the max absolute. Now I think why ersunl has 14lbs and you have 8 is because we have a larger compressor pulley. It's not a drastic change for us as it is for them. I have one and i'll put it on this week. I know i see 6-7 on a hot day with stock pullies so I wanna see what mine does.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Yeah, I put mine on last weekend. I posted my results in the "8 in pulley club" post. I too only get 8 psi at 6k with the powerpipe plus what's in my sig. I used the exact belt lengths & configuration you did........... I was so disappointed I went & cranked my initial timing back to 13 & pull 1psi out under boost with my btm. Now I feel some pull. I'm not recomending you do this, but that makes a huge difference at 8psi! I'm going to play with water inection & more timing to see if I can find some satisfaction there. Then all us revised guys with 8" cranks can talk each other into voiding our warrenty in search of more boost =)
    -justin
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

Originally posted by regattacoupe
    ...Now I think why ersunl has 14lbs and you have 8 is because we have a larger compressor pulley...
    Actually I'm only seeing 11. :D
    If you'd like to send me the parts to make 14 I'd gladly let you know how it goes. :)
    The smaller blower pulley is definitely nice... I wonder what it would take to get those newer units up there like the older ones, a 10" crank? LOL Sometimes I wonder if they did that to drive more people to void their warranty ealier... if so I bet it works. I don't think I'd be able to stay at 8psi.

-Eric
    '91 Mustang GT/Saleen/Cobra R mut
    Novi 1000, GT-40X heads, GT-40 u/l intake, E-cam, 1.72 rr's, yadda yadda... and many other pointless-to-list mods.
    440 rwhp
    430 rwtq
    Pics (yes it actually works now, I'm slowly updating links for new server)

whoops.......i meant neil.....I'll probably stick the 8" pulley on and keep the warranty till i can upgrade to the 2K...I wonder how the 2k would react to the 8" crank and the powerpipe?? MUHAHAHA!!!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Senior SCH Member
    so whats the deal, 8psi is correct, whats with the false promises of 10+ on a stock car without the powerpipe?
    90gt 5speed, chp stroker 331 with forged internals including crank, afr 165's, custom grind cam, trickflow street heat intake, 1.7 rockers, 80mm pro M with morpheus power pipe and bosch bypass valve, full off road exhaust, revised novi 1K with 8"asp pulley, 255 in tank, 30lbers, accufab afr, msd6al with coil, 355's on stock suspension and street tires.

91 coupe 5speed:
    fully ported stock heads, cobra upper and lower intake, 65mm TB, 75mm mass air, full exhaust, compucar adjustable kit, 155lph pump, king cobra clutch, msd coil and stock 308's and street tires.

13.9@102mph

well putting the 8" crank on the new Novi 1k is new to us all. Mine will be on this weekend.I think sinner said that he see's 8 before and 10 after the power pipe, and he has H/C/I on his car as well. Remember also that boost is not the absolute measure of horsepower. There are so many variables.

true, i only saw a small increase in boost but there was a great performance gain. the boost coming in sooner alone was a great benefit. i only was surprised since ASP promises at least 10psi of boost. this could possibly be true with stock H/C/I car........i dont recommend against the 8" pulley, i was just expecting what they promised. there was a deffinate power gain, i guess i just had my hopes a tad high from the info givin by ASP.......
    -justin

Senior SCH Member
    I am a true h/c/i car and I only see like 7or8 max, still kind of disappointing, dont know if its the blower design itself, maybe it just cant flow that much air.

91 coupe 5speed:

13.9@102mph

Originally posted by chemical5l
    so whats the deal, 8psi is correct, whats with the false promises of 10+ on a stock car without the powerpipe?
    I have heads and intake and I seen 8 psi before powerpipe and 10lbs now w/ powerpipe at 6000 rpm
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

Senior SCH Member
    what are you revving too, I see the 8 at 6000k, maybe my blower is the problem.

91 coupe 5speed:

13.9@102mph

I'm reving to 6000rpm.
    Is there any place you could be leaking the boost from?
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

i too saw only 8psi with true H/C/I. its appearent that only 8psi can be had total with the new crank....if there was a boost leak big enough to leak 2 psi of boost you would have a very obvious vacuum leak. were tlaking a leak big enough to bleed off 2 psi of boost, that would be serious!
    -justin

Senior SCH Member
    you too are seeing 8psi with stock longblock?

91 coupe 5speed:

13.9@102mph

Originally posted by mygt8a4re
    if there was a boost leak big enough to leak 2 psi of boost you would have a very obvious vacuum leak. were tlaking a leak big enough to bleed off 2 psi of boost, that would be serious!
    -justin
    I was thinking more along the lines of the bypass valve leaking it or something along the dishcharge tube not firmly fastend.
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods