Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide rubber

blown5oh

Wide rubber

Question for you all. I currently run BFG Comp TA ZR1's on 16" pony 5 stars. I've got 245/50's in the rear. What size tire can I go up to if I stay w/ 16" rims, what size can I do w/ 15" rims?

Thanks guys.

Just FYI - I run a 15*8 with a 275/50/15.

Ian

I ran 275/50-15's on a set of 10 holes, had to flip the quad shock around and they would rub slightly at the track with them aired down to 12-14#'s when I'd try to take corners to fast on the return road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

blown5oh
    OK, cool, that's what I was hoping you'd say. I think my 245/50's are gonna be too thin to get any traction.

I'll just have to wat till next season for the extra $$$ for the rims/tires.

you can go to a 255/55/16 or a 245/60/16 if you dont mind the taller looking tire in the rear. the taller height is going to help you out. if you want to stay the same height & go wider you'll have to find a 275/40 or a 265/45...not very common in 16". you can get a 245/50/16 drag radial, that would make a great difference....i run a 275/50/15 on a 15x9" rim...width & height is important. the sidewall height plays a large roll in traction.........
    good luck,
    -justin

blown5oh
    Do you think it'd be worth it to go w/ 255/55/16 BFG DR's? Would there bea considerable difference in traction over my 245/50/16 Comp TA's? Or should I just get 15" rims for the rear and go w/ 275/50/15's?

I appreciate all the input so far. You guys are very helpful.

I'd go with the 275's. The best thing to do IMHO would be to have an extra set of wheels/tires for the track & for those times that you want to "play" on the street. For daily driving, the BFG's wear pretty quickly and they are no fun in the rain.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

if your happy with your rims go with the 16" drag radial. there will be a huge traction improvement over the comp TA's. youll have to check into 16" drag radial tire sizes. i think the closest option is 245/50/16. but even though the tire size would remain the same the traction difference would be very noticeable. ive been running drag radials now for about 3 years. ive dealt with both the nittos & the bfg's. ill never run regualr radials again now that i know the benefits from the drags..........
    -justin

i have the 275/60/15's dr's and they rub period....... if i go over tracks i have to creep....it's not as bad as long as i don't have anyone in the car with me.....I'm gonna try the 50's next year or maybe a et street
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

im thinking ET streets as well. how is the traction with them & the life of them compared to the BFG drags?
    -justin

I had some ET Drags when i ran the car before the blower. I used to pull 108mph when iced, ran the slicks @ 18 psi, And you can dump it @ 5k and it would dead hook every time. Bog was the norm. I don't know about the streets. My et's hardly wore at all. I did a quick first gear burnout and head for the tree. These were the 8.5's on 10 holes btw.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

I had some ET Drags when i ran the car before the blower. I used to pull 108mph when iced, ran the slicks @ 18 psi, And you can dump it @ 5k and it would dead hook every time. Bog was the norm. I don't know about the streets. My et's hardly wore at all. I did a quick first gear burnout and head for the tree. These were the 8.5's on 10 holes btw. And my car dead hooks with the drag radials---- But---It's a C-4. I don't think the 5K sidestep would've worked with the blower.

I personally have 3 sets of 15 inch rear wheels and tires for my car.
    ET drags are 28X10.50X15 on 15X9 Welds
    ET streets are 26X10.50X15 on 15X8 Welds
    BFG Drag Radials are 275/50/15 on 15X8 welds.

The 275/60/15 are the same size as a 28X10.50X15 and you will have clearance issues with them.

DOug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

so doug, do the ET streets offer better traction than th BFG drags? i saw the tire article in the new MM&FF & it came down to both of these tires & the BFG 's were opted better for daily driving due to the ET streets not being capable of channeling water..............but id like to hear your opinion on traction & life span of the 2 compared. im currently eating a set of 275/50 BFG drags in 3 months time on my dailty driver. i only put about 5k a year on mystang i just have a problem with laying into it everyday =)
    -justin

Originally posted by mygt8a4re
    im currently eating a set of 275/50 BFG drags in 3 months time on my dailty driver. i only put about 5k a year on mystang i just have a problem with laying into it everyday =)
    -justin
    Man the tire store must love you, that's about $100 average per month on tires alone.