Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should have listened to you guys

Senior SCH Member

Should have listened to you guys

Remember this post?
    http://www.novipower.com/forums/show...ht=smog+delete

I finally tried along with Paxtu2 to install my novi 1k 2 belt set-up. Jack from MM said I wouldn't need a smog elim or anything as long as I got a standard rotation wp and the alt. would be adj. to take up any tension.

Well, needless to say. I laid out all the brackets and did a mock up on a table and there is no way to run a smog delete w/o a custom bracket so I'm going to need a smog delete kit. The crank and blower pulley hub sticks out so much that it hits my aluminum radiator and black magic fan. The thing wasn't even istalled and I see all these problems.

I really don't know if it's worth the trouble any more. The instructions suck and the 1 single guy they have at Paxton for tech does'nt know too much about the blowers or how they mount it seems like. Jack told me things would fit and it's a piece of cake and it's far from that.

If someone offered me $2000 for the kit with powerpipe and 42# inj and pro-m 77ma I'd sell it and lose my butt on $ just to get rid of the headache. Sorry but has anyone had a major PITA installing a blower? What about the crank hub and electric fan? That's got to be common. Thanks for listening to me vent

Yes, it's very much worth the pain in the butt & the modifications/fabrications that go with adding a blower to a non-stock vehicle. It's worth it 100% when you finally get it running and get a decent tune laid down, there's nothing like smoking the tires on the freeway at 70 mph :D

Hang in there it'll all be worth it & if ya run into a snag give us a chime and we'd be glad to help out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

heck, it was a PIA on a 100% stock vehicle. But like 5150 said, it's well worth the effort.

the novi 2k and minor bolt ons doubled my stock HP

Hang tight and stick with it. I went from running 12.88 @ 107 to 11.77@ 117 with the stock pullies and the power pipe. I couldn't imagine my car without now. I might even have the smog elim for sale after this week.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    here is a pic of my engine before anything was touched
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    Patience is the #1 key... I know it's easy to say, but we've all done it, and know its a royal PITA. The reward is well worth the effort.
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

Senior SCH Member
    If you have the tools and a garage, it's so easy.. If you have a driveway or limited tools, it can be a PITA. Some people prefer to have someone else do it. Most of the shops I spoke with about it (out of curiosity) wanted $300-700 for the complete installation, plus several gauges, AFPR, and so on. In my opinion, $300-500 is a good deal if you don't have the time or the tools. Having a reputable shop install them may be a good idea in your case, especially if you are frustrated by the process..

man, get the needed delete kits, thier fairly cheap & remove the black majic fan. with a 3core radiator you need a fan thats no more than 3.5" deep. i just picked up an electric 2700cfm fan that has a pancake motor & fits with 1/2" clearnace(cheap too-$60.00) works great!
    go for it man......UPR has delete kits at great prices!
    -justin

Senior SCH Member
    thanks for the support guys. I'll keep you updated.

Where did u get that fan and whats the part#? thaks again guys for the moral support. Glad I'm not the only one with major problems. My problem is I'm trying to do it with 3 pully's and most say it can't be done

yeah thats the spirit! heres a link to the website where you can get the fan at retail. its a zirgo electric fan. this will give you all the info on the fan:
    zirgo fans

when your ready to get one for $60 go to ebay & do a search for electric fans. heres a current link on ebay for one:
    zirgo-ebay

im very happy with the fan. it pulls like mad & keeps my car nice & cool here in hot a$$ fla......easy install & the mounting tabs for the fan included line up perfectly on the top & bottom radiator rail. i just drilled 4 holes & mounted it up!
    good luck man! shout if we can help!

-justin

I bet that fan would fit in front of the radiator and thus resolve any and all clearance issues....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

yeah, it would. i was thinking of reversing it & doing so for more room but i still have the a/c condenser up there so mounting surfaces are nill.......but good point if the a/c is removed!

-justin

kool-------check out lx convertables post on my stock tensioner broke....i have a solution that puts the alternator on the drivers side and the alt is the new tensioner.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    good idea regatta but I would have to change back to rev. rotation pump again and I just changed it. I was thinking of getting a universal alt tensioner in the help section @ parts stores. They swivel and have a nut for tension. that might get rid of needing the smog pump pulley. Mount alt in place where it's supposed to go and then use the universal bracket to adj. tension? I don't have the set-up here so if anyone have detailed pics of that area can you post it up please? please remember it's a 2 belt system

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks to the great idea from Regatta. I'm getting a set-up off a Lincoln/crown vic or grand marquis(sp) tomorrow and then going to get a fan off a mark8 or v6 mustang. Thanks again for the confidence and if I can spin my tires @ 70mph I'll be so damn happy:D

What about running the return line hose into the oil filler nipple? Anyone done this or seen it mounted anywhere besides the pan?