Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper burnout proceedure in 5spd

blown5oh

Proper burnout proceedure in 5spd

OK, stupid question for you all (be gentle, I'm naive)

When running street tires or even DR's - how do you do a proper burnout? How long? What gear are you in? Do you use the ebrake and release it to ease out of the burnout?

So I don't look stupid at the track, please help me out.

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    Using the eBrake will stop the tires from spinning...

Ok, here goes...
    put it in 2nd gear, rev it to 4k, dump the clutch and grab the brake with your left foot. feather the gas to keep tires roasting for as long as you want.
    My advice... BUY linelock. saves front and rear brakes, and is EASY as hell to use and install.....
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

If you run street tires, drive around the water box if possible, then back up to the concrete area when people do their burn-outs but DO NOT roll into the water. Place the car in 1st, dump the clutch, hammer the gas, no need to hit the brakes with street tires. Smoke 'em just a little to clean them off. You're ready to stage!!

For D/R's, drive around the water box if you are NOT running skinnies on the front. Back up into the water slightly, spin 'em, roll forward out of the water. Put it in 2nd gear, gas it, dump the clutch and then immediately hit the brakes, you should be able to hold the car still and roast the rear tires til your hearts content. Heat the tires good until you see smoke rolling, ease off of the brake and roll outta the burnout. Stage....

If you wanna practice before going to the track, you could find a desolate PRIVATE road with smooth paved surface. You can do this with street tires to get the feel of gassing it, dumping the clutch and jumping on the brakes. ***Disclaimer*** I do not condone doing this on any public road or highway and accept no liability for any person or persons engaging in this type of activity*** :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Originally posted by 5150 LX
    ***Disclaimer*** I do not condone doing this on any public
    road or highway and accept no liability for any person or persons engaging in this type of activity*** :D

Good save :D
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Of course we are talking about real boost from a Novi2K :D

I do it a little different, I heel toe it, I put my left foot on the clutch and put my right heel on the brake and right toe on the gas.

I find it easier to control the revs of the car that way.

I do all burn outs in second gear but if you have stock gears it might bog the car and stall if you dont rev it enough, try to be above 4K when you release the clutch.

To end the burnout just release the brake and let the car move forward the just take your foot out of the gas and push in the clutch to have a smooth finish.

I wouldnt recomend using the E-brake for doing burnouts.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Senior SCH Member frank woodall's Avatar
    Rev engine to about 5000 rpm and side step clutch......that my friend is a "proper" burnout.
    "The replacement for displacement is measured in P.S.I."
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana
    90 LX Vert 5.0 (all stock 57,000mi)

blown5oh
    Awesome guys. Thanks alot. I definitely think you guys are the most helpful group that i've seen on all the other sites. :D

the only thing i hate is when i dump the clutch, grab the brake then the rear rolls out to one side, then i have to let out so i dont get a full burn. i notice this happens in the left lane at bradenton speedway alot for some reason(with me anyways)...(here in bradenton fla.)

just wanted to throw that out. ive done many drag radial burnouts with great success but somtimes hit that "have to let out early" cause of the car going sideways. i cant recounter the car with the steering wheel either, i tried that...weird huh? by the way, were talking like 1 of every 10 burnouts......

-justin

Justin, mine has done that at times as well. Fun as hell to sit in the burn-out box sideways, watch the people around you jump over barriers and that wide eyed stare from the spectators on the other side of the fence next to the staging lanes. Priceless I say :D
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

If you don't heel toe you will look like a dork.;)

Line locks are for wusses.;)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

speaking of line lock, where do you get these? where can i find some info on them? i guess my curiousity makes me a wuss! heck im already a dork for not heel toeing right, so why not? .....=)

-justin

I'm a Dork as well for not heel-toeing it :D

And I agree with Steve, line locks are for wusses (Not to step on any toes cause I know a few of ya use them)

I've always dome the heel and toe. But I'm gonna be a wussie by the end of the week! LOL.......
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

done.....whoops....double
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

brent send me some info on the line lock(brand/info/where to buy).......oh & guys, thats MR. WUSSY to you! =)

-justin