Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much power do you think it will make?

Junior SCH Member

How much power do you think it will make?

Assuming things continue to run well, I am taking my car to the dyno on Saturday to make 2 pulls. Any thoughts on what kind of power it should be making? See mods in my sig. The concern I have is whether or not my fuel pump will be able to keep up. I have 2 EGT probes in and got a wideband O2 sensor today to make sure my tune is in the ballpark if the weather improves. Is there anything else I should be watching out for?
    '88 LX Coupe, 410 cubic inch FRPP W351 block, TFS-R heads, GT-40 lower, Holcomb Civil Wars upper, Cam Motion solid roller, Paxton Novi 2000 cog drive S/N 5154, Tremec TKO, FRPP EPEC stand alone.

'94 Corvette Coupe, LT1, 6 speed, 13.391 @ 104.41 mph

Good God that should be a monster!!! How many pounds you running?? Me drools, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    I think it hits about 15 psi, but I really haven't had a chance to get into it on the street.
    '88 LX Coupe, 410 cubic inch FRPP W351 block, TFS-R heads, GT-40 lower, Holcomb Civil Wars upper, Cam Motion solid roller, Paxton Novi 2000 cog drive S/N 5154, Tremec TKO, FRPP EPEC stand alone.

ummm busting 650 @ the tires should not be an issue!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Be sure not to forget us and post the #'s from that beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    Well, it was kind of dissapointing. The engine was missing for some reason, so it wouldn't make a clean pull. The first run was 448.5hp/507.6lb-ft. The curves had 100hp/100lb-ft dips in them above 4400rpm. I pulled some timing out for the second run to see if that is what the problem was. Second run netted 467.8hp/528.5lb-ft, but still had the same problem. Power dropped off after 5500rpm and still had a bunch of dips in it. One promising thing was the fact that it started with 440lb-ft of torque at 2800rpm. I will try to post the dyno sheets later today. What sort of timing curves are people running at part throttle and WOT with 10-15lb boost?

i saw your dyno sheets, didn't opt for the wideband o2? Was the fuel pressure steady? Did Livernois have anything to say about it?

Junior SCH Member
    It was a dyno day set up by a Mustang site here in Detroit, so they weren't doing the O2 monitoring. I have a wideband in the car, but haven't been able to get it hooked up to the EPEC to log it yet. I'm not sure about the fuel pressure. About the only thing Livernois had to say aside from changing the timing was to get rid of the EPEC and buy a FAST system from them for $2300. If it were fuel pressure, I wouldn't have expected to see the peaks and dips so early in the curves, but I can't rule it out. I am redoing some of the grounds for the EPEC and the MSD and I will try to at least make a partial WOT pull on the street and see how it runs. That way I can keep an eye on the fuel pressure too.

I pretty much agree on the fuel pressure usually you see that further in rpm. How does it drive? Does the car hesitate? I would try to get the wideband working, you really need to know what the A/F ratio is right now.

Junior SCH Member
    The car does buck a little occasionally when I am driving it. It really doesn't drive too bad other than that. I have had the wideband working, when at part throttle, I was seeing 12.5-14:1. The little bit of WOT I could do on the street looked to be about 12:1 or so. I'm trying to get it so that I can data log the wideband info in my EPEC (the voltage output from the O2 sensor box = lambda value) so that I can make a pull and then look at the data without having to concentrate on 4 gauges at once. I also have 2 EGT probes hooked up, but I haven't been looking at those much because I have the O2 sensor in there for a while.

Senior SCH Member
    I would give Greg Banish at Detroit Speedworks a call. He is the sole tuner of my Real Street car and has a lot of experience tuning supercharged combos.

He has my car running mid-low 10's at 131 mph wit 11.5 A/F ratio. The nice thing about his shop is that he uses a load bearing Mustang dyno which places a load on the vehicle to immediately show any problem areas. Check him out at www.detroitspeedworks.com. You won't be dissapointed.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the input. I had my Corvette on the dyno at Detroit Speedworks. I talked to Greg a little about tuning on my Mustang and he didn't seem very interested in working with the EPEC injection system. That was last year and his outlook may have changed though and if I brought the car up there, he may be willing to tune it. Sounds like your car is doing really well and still on the safe side. I have redone some of the ground wires for my EPEC and MSD to see if that gets rid of the major problem I was seeing on the dyno. I pulled all of the plugs last night and while it looks like the engine has been running rich, the plugs still had a nice light brown color on the ground strap and a little on the porcelain. Once I get it to where it isn't missing, I will probably see about getting it fine tuned at DSW. Thanks.

Senior SCH Member
    What do you run for plugs and what are they gapped at?
    Chris
    NMCA SR6381

Junior SCH Member
    I have Champions in there now, I don't remember the number, but they are supposed to be the equivalent of the Autolite 3924. I couldn't find the Autolites anywhere when I was trying to get it running, so I went with the Champions. They were gapped at .030-.032 and I dropped it last night to .029.

Senior SCH Member
    Throw the Champions in the garbage today. They are junk. I would get yourself a set of Autolite AR3934's. They are equivalent to the heat range of an 3924, but they are a race plug with a cutback ground electrode and shrouded main electrode.

I have had a lot of missing problems due to spark plugs. Start your gap at 0.028 and go from there. My engine revs smooth past 7k.
    Chris
    NMCA SR6381