Thread: bypass valve orientation and part#?

Senior SCH Member

bypass valve orientation and part#?

Hey guys, I just got my bypass valve in the mail and I noticed that the number was different, instead of ending in 108 it ends in 102, whats the difference and does the vaccumm port point up towards the hood or down?
    90gt 5speed, chp stroker 331 with forged internals including crank, afr 165's, custom grind cam, trickflow street heat intake, 1.7 rockers, 80mm pro M with morpheus power pipe and bosch bypass valve, full off road exhaust, revised novi 1K with 8"asp pulley, 255 in tank, 30lbers, accufab afr, msd6al with coil, 355's on stock suspension and street tires.

Dynojet#'s= 505rwhp, 469rwtq@7psi boost.

91 coupe 5speed:
    fully ported stock heads, cobra upper and lower intake, 65mm TB, 75mm mass air, full exhaust, compucar adjustable kit, 155lph pump, king cobra clutch, msd coil and stock 308's and street tires.

13.9@102mph

Vacuum port will point down, the 102 is the run of the mill bypass designed for lower boost levels according to the stuff I have read (10-12 psi max if I recall correctly). What application did you use to order it under? How much did ya give for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

so did you order the 108 & get the 102? thats wierd cause usually if you order a 102 they'll send a 108. the 102 was taken over by the 108 due to its stronger metal parts & quiker response. the 102 should be fine(as mentioned above) for approx 12 psi, but if you ordered the 108 you may want to check on that since the 108 is a better design..............

-justin

Senior SCH Member
    I just got what harold at morpheus gave me, there is metal parts?
    90gt 5speed, chp stroker 331 with forged internals including crank, afr 165's, custom grind cam, trickflow street heat intake, 1.7 rockers, 80mm pro M with morpheus power pipe and bosch bypass valve, full off road exhaust, revised novi 1K with 8"asp pulley, 255 in tank, 30lbers, accufab afr, msd6al with coil, 355's on stock suspension and street tires.

91 coupe 5speed:
    fully ported stock heads, cobra upper and lower intake, 65mm TB, 75mm mass air, full exhaust, compucar adjustable kit, 155lph pump, king cobra clutch, msd coil and stock 308's and street tires.

13.9@102mph

if it has the brass piston then you have the 108, mabey the box part number was wrong or somthing.......just out of curiousity, what did he charge you? avg. price is $25
    -justin

That's funny, mine ends in 105. What's the difference. My bypass is orientated with the vacuum up. I have it comming out of the discharge tube where the flat part is on the curve towards the TB. I have the revised Novi with the aluminum discharge tube. Is this wrong??
    Craig

Click Here for my POS
    91 GT Vert
    Edelbrock Heads/Intake/Paxton 9psi
    Stock cam w/1.72RR's
    36# Injectors, Pro-M 75mm bullet
    Kenne Bell BAP, No FMU, Higgins Chip
    Mac 1 5/8 shorties, 2 1/2 off road H
    Tremec 3550, Eaton 31 spline, Mosers
    SSBC rear disk conversion
    Dyno 429HP / 408 ft-lbs R.I.P 331 in thw works

Senior SCH Member
    not sure of the orientation, harold really ripped me off, he sent me the all plastic one.

91 coupe 5speed:

13.9@102mph

chem5l, it should be a plastic housing. bosch makes several bypas valves. almost all of them have the same plastic housing yet the internals change. the 108 for example has metal internal for faster response & stronger seat pressure. you probably got the right one. the difference between the 102 & 108 wont matter unless your making over 10psi of boost............
    once you get over 10psi, i recommned ordering the bosch 110 sport. it is thier best design. quikest response & holds seat over 15psi.

-justin

Senior SCH Member
    Does anyone have some spare hoses, clamps, and fittings for a bosch bypass valve that they want to sell? I cannot find the parts for the life of me. NAPA doesn't have anything, Autozone doesn't, even Home Depot and Lowes never carry the parts I am looking for. :/

Mark, all you need is 1" heater hose. Tell the idiot behind the counter to get off his damn computer and go look at their bulk hose section.

As far as fittings go, what are you working with? Stock inlet tube on blower will take a 3/4" or a 1" NPT. I just used a section of iron pipe 2-3" long that was threaded on both ends.

What does your dischage tube have in the way of a bung? Are you running a steel or the plastic unit? If you have to install one in a steel unit you can use a piece of the 1" threaded pipe, drill a hole in the discharge and then slowly open it up with a dremel until you can just barely get the pipe threaded into the hole & then seal it in place good with some JB Weld.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th