Thread: done with the car for the year

Senior SCH Member

done with the car for the year

after busting my *** all week to get things done arround the house so I could put my water pump on yesterday, the ****** started leaking. About 1 week after I put the blower on, the pump went out, when taking the old one off, 3 bolts broke, got that all taken care of, cleaned the the surfaces really good, used silicone on both sides of the gaskets just to protect from any inconsistancies on the timing cover, torqued to 25lbs. on the bolt, put everything back together, after 6 1/2 hours of taking my time, I add the antifreeze, and the ****** starts leaking. I am so burnt out, just dont feel like taking it apart again, think shes gonna sit til next summer. Sorry for the rant guys, just pissed off, did everything right, took my time, and it still leaks, gdi:bonk:
    93 Black coupe, JE Pistons, Cut and Polished Crank 10/10 Bearings, Ported Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 42lb Injectors, Pro M 80mm Mass Air
    Accufab 75mm Throttle Body, Holley Systemax Intake, BBK Adjustable Fuel Regulator, 130 amp alternator
    1.7 Ford Motorsport Roller Rockers, Ford Motorsport E303 Cam,Aluminum Radiator, Electric Fan, MSD 6AL Ignition- MSD 6BTM Boost Retard
    MSD Coil 90/10 Front Shocks,
    50/50 Rear Shocks, 3.55 Gears,
    BBK Long Tube Headers, SouthSide Machine Lift Bars, Sub Frame Connectors, Built T-5 with Cobra Gearset 3:35, 255lph Fuel Pump
    T-Rex inline fuel pump
    Vortech S trim Supercharger,Vortech Aftercooler, Flowmaster CatBack Exhaust, Optima battery relocated
    Corbeau CR1 Racing Seats Cervini Cowl/Ram Air hood ,17" Cobra R wheels

Be more specific? Where is it leaking from? There is about 5 different places it can leak from when doing a water pump change on a ford.

I would say you are doing something wrong or it would not be leaking.;)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

I may be the only bonehead to have ever done this, but I did my water pump about 2 yrs ago. When I put everything back together, I too had a leak. So I got a new gasket, pulled it off, redid everything, put it all back together, and the thing leaked again. I thought I was going to throw the pump out into the desert. I took it all off one more time, and thats when I realized I had the back plate for the pump on backwards. I could have kicked myself in the head for that one. That may be something you want to take a look at if you took that plate off. I was installing a Stewart pump and it came with 2 plates. Just something to think about.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

Senior SCH Member
    I bought the pump at autozone, it came with the backing plate on already
    93 Black coupe, JE Pistons, Cut and Polished Crank 10/10 Bearings, Ported Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 42lb Injectors, Pro M 80mm Mass Air
    Accufab 75mm Throttle Body, Holley Systemax Intake, BBK Adjustable Fuel Regulator, 130 amp alternator
    1.7 Ford Motorsport Roller Rockers, Ford Motorsport E303 Cam,Aluminum Radiator, Electric Fan, MSD 6AL Ignition- MSD 6BTM Boost Retard
    BBK Long Tube Headers, SouthSide Machine Lift Bars, Sub Frame Connectors, Built T-5 with Cobra Gearset 3:35, 255lph Fuel Pump
    T-Rex inline fuel pump
    Vortech S trim Supercharger,Vortech Aftercooler, Flowmaster CatBack Exhaust, Optima battery relocated

Originally posted by Cobra33
    I bought the pump at autozone, it came with the backing plate on already
    I ALways take that back plate BACK off(yes on new pumps) and silicone it at that same time I am sliming up all the rest of the front cover and pump gaskets.

Where ever it is leaking it should be a simple fix but just time consuming.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Senior SCH Member
    well guys, couldnt stand it, tore it apart and put it back together, turned out to be the timing cover, the new pump was fine, replaced all the vacuum lines also. I am glad I did, thanks for putting up with my whining, glad it wasnt the pump or something I did, I have heard on cars with lots of miles, that if you disturb them, they can shift, thats why it was leaking from the timing cover, not the water pump
    Thanks again
    T-Rex inline fuel pump